Tuesday, February 21, 2012
Mal Raynold's Pistol Version 2
Several years ago, I made this pistol for my Friend Mike.
You can see that pistol here.
I decided, for fun, to remake this pistol.
Hopefully it will come out as good as the original.
As I did the first time, I made a template using an image of the gun. I then traced this template over some cardboard.
The outside layers are made from the high density cardboard I spoke about in the previous post. The inner layers of cardboard are corrugated cardboard. I know I mentioned in the earlier post that corrugated cardboard is not good to use. I said this because with that pistol I sanded down layers of the high density cardboard. For this new pistol I will not be sanding down cardboard. I will instead make a base from the corrugated cardboard, and wrap it with plaster cloth, and build on top of it.
Below are images of the layers of cardboard, glued together, drying.
Next step, plaster cloth.
After everything dried I began making templates of the next layers and cut them out of cardboard.
For all those who are wondering why I wrapped the first few layers in plaster cloth and THEN started adding more layer, here is my reasoning: Since I used some thicker pieces of corrugated cardboard for the base, the piece still had a 'springy' factor, even after being glued together. Corrugated cardboard is sort of like bubble wrap - it's used to keep products safe while shipping because there are pockets of air in between layers of thin cardboard. This allows boxes to get bumped around - the air pockets make the cardboard flexible to reduce damages. So I needed to wrap the base with the plaster wrap so that the base of the gun is solid. Since there will undoubtedly be a lot of sanding and layers of filler and such added, the base needs to be as strong as possible. Those are my thoughts anyway.
Below are some shots of the new layers glued to the base, drying with rubber bands wrapped around them.
Once those layers dried I made a slightly smaller template of the same shape above.
And then I glued them on.
After that dried, I cut out even more elements and glued it on.
It's definitely getting close to the right thickness.
After those layers dried I applied wood filler to one side.
Below you can hopefully see how the filler starts to even out the layers, making it smooth between the 'steps' of the cardboard.
Once the first side dried, I applied filler to the other side.
A little sanding, I added more filler to give the handle a more rounded look.
After I sanded some more, I used a piece of PVC tubing for the barrel.
The barrel is glued on with hot glue.
Since the barrel is octagonal in shape, I glued 4 strips of cardboard to the top, bottom and sides. The remaining 4 sides will be comprised of filler.
So, there have been several more steps of adding more filler and sanding.
I did not photograph these since it would be a bit too redundant, but below is how it looked once I was done.
Next I cut some cardboard strips to use as the trigger guard, and glued them onto the gun.
I also added smaller strips of cardboard on the end of the barrel for the sight.
Then once again, wood filler and sanding.
I drew in some details in pencil for where certain things need to be. For the divides - such as in the handle, I simple plan on sanding down those areas so it looks like it's separate.
then I finally added some primer.
Going back to my reference photos I discovered that I am making a lot of mistakes.
Unhappy about this, I decided to shave down a lot of the work I've already done so that I can make a more accurate pistol.
I took off the large pieces with an exacto knife and used my detail sander to smooth it all out.
This left many holes which needed to be filled with some filler.
And then gave it a good sanding.
Next I gave it a coat of primer.
After a little sanding, the pistol is now ready to have new elements added to it.
I drew up a very detailed picture of Mal's Pistol using a lot of reference photos and color coded it for each individual element of the gun.
It would seem that once again my gun is not very proportionate. But since I am not ready to start from scratch again, I will just grin and bear it. So using my shapes, I started to create the shapes for the rest of the gun using foam and cardboard.
Next my girlfriend so lovingly helped by applying wood filler to the new areas.
Above the Mal Pistol dries next to my girlfriend's Bellatrix Wand.
Once the filler dried I gave it a good sanding.
And then some primer.
After sanding the foam shapes were a little distorted. I didn't quite feel like adding more filler so I decided to start applying some crafting foam to resurface some areas. I also made the trigger guard out of thick crafting foam.
Perhaps I got a bit carried away with all the foam, but I'm liking how it's looking now. I'll use some white glue to fill in the corners of the foam...
Then I added some special screws...
...and a few furniture tacks.
...and then it's primer time again.
First coat was light gray and the second coat was black.
Here Mal's pistol dries with the Snub & the Samaritan.
Next I gave it a coat of gold spray paint.
When the paint dried, I added some brown acrylic paint for the gun handle.
And then used black acrylic paint to give the gun a distressed look.
Then the Mal pistol & The Samaritan pistol awaited some protective enamel.
And that's about it!
Well, it's definitely not a perfect representation of Mal's pistol but there's no doubt that it is his pistol.
It is a bit better looking than my first attempt.
Hopefully my third attempt will be perfect!
Thanks for reading!!!