Saturday, March 17, 2012

LIGHTSABERS!

For as long as I can remember I have always wanted a lightsaber.
When I was a kid I would have been happy using a whiffle-ball bat as my lightsaber.
In my teenage years I finally found them for sale in a KB Toy store, and my friend Mike and I bought some to duel with.  
Within hours we broke our new toys. 

My original Luke saber above.
Mike's original Darth Vader saber above.

My brother Chris suggested making my own lightsaber out of PVC pipe and various plumbing joint parts....and that's just what I did!
Below are several images of lightsabers I had made over the years.



























And then one day I found an amazing thing.  A company called MASTER REPLICAS made some seriously awesome replica lightsabers.
I had to have them!

I'll find better photos of these later.
But for anyone who cares, I have the Obi Wan, Anakin, Luke (Green), Mace Windu, Darth Vader and both Darth Maul lightsabers.  I even made a special wall mount that held them all!

Below are some photoshopped photos with my lightsabers.



The above photo had an ex-girlfriend of mine.  I wish the lightsabers I had were real - so I could chop off her head!
















I even sold one of my home made lightsabers on ebay once.  For Real.


Below is my first ever PVC Lightsaber.
Over the last 15 years or so, it has gotten a bit beat up, but still looks very cool.
I keep it around the house - mostly to rescue tennis balls and other dog toys from under the couch.


All in all, it's always been fun making lightsabers.  For the most part it's pretty inexpensive, and since PVC is pretty tough you can really give them a pounding.  If they break, it most likely will cost you less than $10 to rebuild it.  Go to the plumbing section of your favorite hardware store, get some PVC pipes, couplings, end caps, sink drains and some spray paint and build yourself a lightsaber!


A special thanks to my buddy Mike for allowing me to post these old videos of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment