Monday, October 15, 2012
Game of Thrones Dragon Eggs
My girlfriend and I are big fans of the show "Game of Thrones". I believe my girlfriend's favorite character is Daenerys Targaryen who receives 3 Dragon Eggs as a wedding gift.
I am going to attempt to make one dragon egg, and hopefully in the future learn how to mold and cast that one egg so that I can make a complete set of 3 for my girlfriend.
But for now I am only going to make one.
The above 2 images of dragon eggs will serve as reference for building my own.
I will be making the basic shape of this egg out of 3/4" thick insulation foam.
I started by making drawings of the shapes on the computer and printing them out of card stock.
These will be templates which I will use to trace the shape on the foam.
Note that there are 9 layers to this egg.
Next I cut the pieces out and glued them together.
Then I began shaving the edges down to make it more rounded.
Once the basic shape was more or less done, I grabbed my course sanding block and began refining the shape.
Side Note - When I write up my blogs, I usually do them at the end of the crafting day, and thus most of my blogs are incomplete, or in progress. I also usually keep all the mistakes I make in the blog so that people see where something's gone wrong and are aware that I am an amateur. Being an amateur is not a bad thing. Making mistakes is how you learn.
That being said, I'd like to point out one mistake I've already made on this project. You'll notice on the image above showing the templates drawn on the sheet of foam, there are 9 shapes showing ( #1-#4 twice and #5). While cutting these shapes, the middle piece, #5 fell on the floor. I forgot about it and glued the 8 remaining pieces together. The egg in the above pictures should have 9 layer, but they all have 8. Finally I noticed this, found the middle piece on the floor, split the 8-layered egg in half and reglued the missing layer.
The image below shows the egg now corrected.
and now it's time to sand.
After sanding, I gave the egg a coating of wood filler. I coated the top first as it dried on a PVC coupling. When the top dries I'll flip it and coat the bottom.
Next, to work on the scales.
Using reference images, I drew the general shape of the scales in illustrator,
and created a few sheets which I will double-stick-tape to flexible crafting foam.
Then I began the daunting task of cutting them all out.
And one by one I began gluing them onto the egg.
I started from the bottom...
...and progressively moved up.
And finally finished!
The next step is to cover this boy with wood filler. This will fill up the porous foam texture, plus all the gaps in between the scales. But before I tried that approach, I decide to see how much fill primer would work on the gaps.
The primer was good in filling the texture of the foam scales, but did not do too much for the spaces in between each scale. So on to wood filler!
It's going to take a while to get filler underneath each scale.
Once the filler dried I took a wet sponge and softened a lot of the hard edges from the wood filler. Since wood filler is water based, you can use this method after it dries. I tend not to do this in my projects, but since I don't want to damage the foam scales with course sand paper, I thought this the best route to go.
Then I used some watered down wood filler to fill in a few holes and parts that needed it.
After a few more sessions of sponging and fine sandpaper, the egg is ready to be primed.
The first coats were the light gray primer.
I made sure this time to get the bottom of the egg.
The second coats were of red primer.
Now it's really looking like a dragon egg!
Next, my girlfriend gave it a first coat of acrylic paint.
She then added a few more coats of green to make it a deep, rich green color. When that dried she sponged on some copper paint.
When the paint on the top of the egg dried she then painting the bottom.
When it was fully dried it looks amazing. My girlfriend did a great job painting it.
For the egg stand I bought a PVC toilet flange and screwed it onto a round wood plaque.
My girlfriend then painted a few coats of black enamel.
Followed by some sponged on copper paint.
Next I took it outside and sprayed everything with some clear enamel.
After the clear enamel was applied, the Dragon egg has a new home on a shelf.
This was a fun project and I think it came out well. Thanks to my girlfriend Jess for helping me with it. She did a great job. Thanks for reading!
UPDATE - 9/22/2013
I have shared my templates with a number of readers and asked to see their progress. I'd like to thank Dani for being the first to respond with some photos. I think her Dragon egg came out spectacularly, and she plans on making more. I can't wait to see them! Below are a few shots she sent me. Thanks Dani!
A reader named Shirley also sent me this picture of her egg:
I encourage other people who have made these eggs with my templates to share their photos.
UPDATE: I made a new post with the templates I used to make my egg. You can download the templates here.