So after day 7, add another half hour or so.
On day 8 I softened the edges of the clay somewhat and added wood filler.
So day 10 starts.
I gave the helmet a thorough sanding - which too about an hour.
Day 13 started with some sanding of the dried wood filler. After sanding it got cleaned, and then a coat of red primer.
I mixed the red and black paint to create a dark-blood color. I then took my paintbrush and flung the blood paint onto the helmet. It was a lot of fun doing this step.
UPDATE: 2 years after making this helmet I began another!
I'm not done with it yet, but when I am I will post the link here.
Thanks for reading!