Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Loki Helmet


A friendly follower of my blog named HmHinkle requested an entry for a Loki helmet.
Apparently she wants to make one for Halloween.  Being only a few weeks away, I will need to crunch on this one - and I may not be able to get it done in time.  But hopefully it will give everybody some useful instructions and ideas for their own helmets.  I can not promise that this helmet will be entirely screen-accurate. In fact, I decided to try out a new method for making helmets for this entry. And as for HmHinkle - I hope this entry will be useful and I hope you will send pictures of your own progress.  I will happily post them to this blog.

First step is to get some imagery of Loki's helmet.  Below are a few I have chosen to work with.

A week or so before this posting, I played with the idea of making the base of a helmet out of insulation foam.  I initially used the featherweight method for making the shape fit on my head, and then cut some foam to fit around the cardboard.  I started this before the request came in to make Loki's helmet, so don't be surprised that it looks nothing like Loki's helmet at first.

Also I should note that there are probably better or easier ways to make this helmet.  The fastest way would probably be to make this helmet out of pepakura and then fiberglass/resin/bondo it.  I am sure there is a pep file for this helmet somewhere out there.  I have mentioned in earlier posts that I can not use these materials given my present living conditions.  The next best way would be to make this using the featherweight method - which I have used for several helmets.  Strips of cardboard and hot glue can be made into something rather quickly - followed by plaster wrap and filler.  Another drawback I feel I should mention is that insulation foam is well...insulating!  To wear this helmet for hours could get warm.  But, if you add enough of a cardboard or plaster shell you could probably use a solvent to dissolve the foam, leaving the helmet light and cool.  I will not be doing that in this blog since I can not really use solvents easily given my living situation.  You could also probably make the helmet using foam and then make a mold out of it and cast the helmet out of plastic, but I have not learned how to do this yet, so again I will not be doing that.  In the end it depends on your skill level and how much time, money and effort you put into it.  I am still quite an amateur, and I enjoy learning different ways of doing things.  I haven't worked much with insulation foam, and hopefully I will learn a lot during the making of this helmet.


Using several small pieces of foam left over from other projects, I glued them onto the helmet.


This did not work well and decided to start over.  Using the rejected helmet as a template, I created half the shape of the helmet on a piece of cardboard and traced that shape onto foam.  I then flipped the cardboard and traced the other side so that both sides were the same shape.


I also traced a line on the cardboard for the inside cut.  This helmet needs to be hollow after all.


After tracing both inner and outer lines, I cut out the foam and glued a few layers together.


I progressively made smaller templates and smaller cuts of foam so that my helmet had steps of height and width.  The taller the helmet got, the smaller the layers became. Below are images of the inside and outside of the helmet so far.



Next, using an X-acto knife I started to bevel the edges of each layer, rounding out the shape of the helmet.



Next, I decided the helmet needed some sides and backs, so using my original template, I cut out a layer, but not the front of it (Where my face would be).


Then added more layers.





Next, I tried it on to see how it looked.


Not too bad.
Now at this point I didn't know what I wanted the helmet to be.  I threw this picture on Facebook and asked what people thought I should turn this helmet into.  I received feedback saying that it should be a Battlestar Galactica helmet, Ram Man (from the old He-Man cartoon), and a 'cyber man' (whatever that is).  It was around this time that I received the request to make the Loki helmet.  I wasn't sure how well this foam helmet would transform into Loki's helmet, but I thought I'd give it a try!

So after looking at some reference pictures, I began to shape the helmet a bit more.  The first part was to widen and shape of the brow and cheek areas.  Using a paper template I made the shape and traced it onto both sides of the helmet.


And then cut it out.


After a little sanding and cutting, the new shapes looked nice and smooth.


But other pieces need to be added and the overall 'steps' that the layers created needed to be smoothed out.  So I added some wood filler to begin smoothing out the helmet.


While that dried, I decided to make some line art of the helmet so that I could have an easier time shaping the helmet.  This step proved to be a bit difficult since I could not find images of the front and side of the helmet that were perfectly level.  I therefore had to do my best with the images that I could find.

Above is my final drawing.  I will print these out at full scale to help in making the helmet as close as possible to what is seen on screen.

When the filler dried, I sanded it down a little and added more cuts to the top of the helmet to help round the shape further.

Then using my print outs as templates, I cut pieces of cardboard to begin shaping the helmet to look like Loki's.  I began with the crown of the helmet.




Once both sides were glued on I added the crest on the front.


Next I added the jaw areas and glued them on.






The guards were a bit wobbly since it extended past where the foam was.  But before I tackled that, I cut more cardboard to extend the shapes on the back of the helmet to a point to match the reference images.



Then I added a large strip of cardboard down the center of the dome, making sure to leave enough space for the horns.


Then I finally glued on some more foam to the jaw areas and trimmed them down.


The above picture shows how the helmet looks after the second day working on it - approximately 6 hours total work.

So, just to remind people out there, always practice safe working techniques.  Work on a table, and if you don't have a table, then make sure you work in a way that you won't hurt yourself or your work space.
Late last night I was not heeding my own advise and a blob of hot glue fell on my foot, producing a quite painful blister.

Ouch!

So at the start of day 3 the helmet looks like this: 

The right side of the jaw guard did not glue quite in place (probably because the glue dripped off and gave me a blister). I will have to fix that so that both jaw guards look even.

So, taking my paper horn templates, I traced it onto foam and cut out several pieces.


And glued them together.


While the horn layers dried, I cut out the triangular shape on the front of the helmet and cut it out in foam.  I glued it on and beveled the edges with my knife.


Then I cut and sanded the horns into their proper shape.


Using toothpicks and a lot of glue, I added on the first horn.


And then the second one.



This looks so awesome already.


It's a little top heavy, and the horns are not securely on yet, but that will be fixed tomorrow when I apply some plaster wrap.

I'm getting really excited about this one!!

At the end of Day 3 - approx 9-10 hours total work.

Next I added smaller pieces of foam to fill in the spots underneath the horns that did not fully connect to the helmet.  I trimmed them once the glue dried.

And then I covered the entire helmet in plaster wrap.


This one is going to take several hours to dry.  To be on the safe side I will let it dry over night before I go any further.


So this is how the helmet looks at the end of day 4 - approx 11-12 hours total time.

Next I started to apply wood filler to the helmet to even out the surface.
I was originally going to use spackle to coat the helmet since it's a bit lighter, but checking my supplies, I had very little spackle, so I opted to put on a thin coat of wood filler.

After a few applications I finally got the helmet (inside and out) covered.


I'm going to let the wood filler dry over night to ensure that it is fully dried.
Day 5 over - approx 13.5 hours total time.

The next day I decided to use some air-drying clay to fill in some of the gaps in the helmet.


Since the clay takes several hours to harden, this is all I could do for today.
Day 6 over - approx 14 hours total time.

The next day I was a busy one, so I didn't get too much done, but I did add more clay to the 'seams' of the helmet where the hard lines were lost from the plaster wrap.


It doesn't look super now, but once the clay dries and I sand it down and add more wood filler, it should look great!

So after day 7, add another half hour or so.

On day 8 I softened the edges of the clay somewhat and added wood filler.




The filler smoother the transitions from the base of the helmet to the new raised areas made by the clay.  The look does not quite resemble exactly how the Loki helmet looks in the Avengers movie, but nonetheless looks very very cool.

Now the filler needs to dry fully before I do a thorough sanding of the entire helmet.
At the end of day 9 - approximately 16 hours total time.

So day 10 starts.
I gave the helmet a thorough sanding - which too about an hour.

Since time and weather have not been on my side during this project, I opted to take the helmet outside for a priming before it starts raining.  My first coat was a light gray and I began at the bottom and worked my way up.


My second coat was a black primer, and when that dried I switch back to gray.


Here Loki and Iron Man Version 2 are drying.



Unfortunately, after about 40 minutes the rain drops started to fall.  So Loki will have to dry inside.  


The filler primer did a good job with some of the small holes, but there are still many rough spots to this helmet.  Once it dries and gets sanded, it's back to wood filler and smoothing.

Almost 18 hours of work so far.

Day 11 - after the primer dried I used some watered down wood filler to continue smoothing the helmet.
I used a sponge to moisten and smooth out the wood filler.  Hopefully this will do a good job and make sanding and priming a bit easier.


Once again, it has been a very busy couple days.  This is all I can do for tonight, so at the end of Day 11, we have a combined time of 18.5 hours.

Day 12 involves adding more wood filler to the helmet.  The sponged-on wood filler definitely sanded nicely,  but the application was too thin.  So unfortunately I had to add a thicker coat.




Now it has to dry.  End of day 12 - approx 19.5 hours.

Day 13 started with some sanding of the dried wood filler.  After sanding it got cleaned, and then a coat of red primer.


The second coat was with gray primer.



Again, the primer is doing a good job smoothing things, but not as much as I had hoped.  I really need to step it up and do a better job filling and sanding.  This I will do once the primer has dried and aired out.
But before I begin filling again, I decided to add a few more details using clay.  First up, I filled in areas in the front of the helmet near the brow.


And then I added more lines on the back of the helmet.


Now it needs to dry over night.  So at the end of day 13 - approx 21 hours.


Day 14 involved covering the helmet once again with wood filler.  I did this early in the morning and a few hours later it had dried and I gave it a good sanding.  Finally, the helmet was getting the nice smooth surface that I had wanted.





At the end of Day 14, total of 23 hours.

At this point a giant Frankenstorm called Sandy hit the east coast of the United States.  Hurricane Sandy devastated parts of New Jersey, New York City & it's 5 Boroughs, Long Island, Connecticut and other areas of the North East.  I live on Long Island and I was unfortunately effected by the Hurricane, mostly having no power.  Fortunately, the lack of power at home gave me plenty of time to work on this helmet. 

So one powerless evening on Day 15 I was looking at the helmet and decided to spruce it up by adding some filigrees to the outsides.  To do this, I took paper and traced some of the contours of the helmet.


I then cut the paper out, and traced it onto some crafting foam.


I then drew some tribal-ish designs onto the foam.


And cut them out.


I put it up against the helmet to see how it looked.  I liked it!


So I traced the shape and made a duplicate for the other side.


And then glued it on.


I repeated this process for both sides, back, top and front of the horns.  I also made designs for the inside of the horns.




This whole process took about 4 hours.
At the end of day 15, total of 27 or so hours.

Day 16, I took the helmet outside and primed it with light gray primer.





And then dark gray primer.






After the primer dried, I gave it a coat of gold spray paint.





It looks so good, but I'm not done yet!
I really liked the look of the gold helmet as is, but I wanted to take it a bit further.  Since a lot of the surfaces of the helmet were far from perfect and smooth, I decided to give the helmet the appearance of having been through a very rough battle, complete with grime, dirt and maybe even a little blood!
So I took some black acrylic paint and began to give the helmet a distressed look.


This took a bit of time since it was getting dark inside....


...and painting each individual filigree...


....and using a Q-Tip to remove the right amount of paint, but my time and hard work paid off.






So at the end of a very long day 16, total time spent is approx 35 total hours.

On day 17 I woke up eager to get this helmet done!


I gathered some red and black acrylic paint, and a sheet of plaster wrap and headed outdoors.


I mixed the red and black paint to create a dark-blood color.  I then took my paintbrush and flung the blood paint onto the helmet.  It was a lot of fun doing this step.





Once I was done with the acrylic, I grabbed some red spray paint and the plaster wrap.  The plaster wrap is used as a filter to keep a majority of the red spray paint from hitting the helmet.  It also created different sized splatter which completed a great bloody look.










Above Loki is drying outdoors with a freshly primed Stormtrooper and "Astronaut" helmet.
 When the blood dried, I applied many layers of glossy clear enamel.










Lastly, I added a thin sheet of construction foam on the top insides...


...and pieces of furniture foam to make sure the helmet stays on the wearer's head.


And I'm done!!!!!


So at the end of 17 days and somewhere around 40 hours of work, we finally have a Loki-style helmet!
I didn't finish it in time for Halloween (October 31), but since Hurricane Sandy hit us and more-or-less cancelled Halloween, it was rescheduled for Saturday November 3 (which happens to be today), so in a way, I finished it just in time! 

I hope you have enjoyed this posting.
A special thanks to HmHinkle for suggesting I do this helmet!


69 comments:

  1. *Clears throat* Did you ever know that you're my herrrooooo? Lol You're rad. Thank you for this! I have a few of the things I've made on my facebook if you'd like to check them out, Timbo. Facebook.com/Hallena.Hinkle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment.
    I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with for your Lady Loki costume.
    My blogs are not super detailed so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Timbo, your work gets better every day! Brilliant result, and I must admit to being dubious about using the foam and plaster method, but look how fantastic it turned out!

    BTW - can you do a post on your TIE fighter helmet I saw on the ground? I'm keen to make one as I'm part way through the rebel helmet pep and have now got a pep file for the trooper faceplate.

    Cheers, Phil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops! I just found it! Blame it on the wine...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg thank you so much for such an excellent step by step process!! This has got to be the best Loki helmet I have ever seen!! Such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Z. Thanks so much for the compliment. I'm glad i can being inspiration to others. If you plan on making one for yourself i would love to see your progress pictures

    ReplyDelete
  7. I appreciate you for turning out to be so thoughtful and then for picking some beneficial tips millions of individuals are really desperate to be informed on. My very own honest apologies for not saying thanks to you sooner.
    hard hat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the compliment Clara. I try to be as informative as I can since I am pretty much a beginner at making helmets and props. I learned how to do a lot of my prop making from others who have been kind enough to post their processes, so I feel it is only fair to give back, and try to help other people like myself. Thank you for reading my blog and I hope you enjoy my other posts as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello there! I am new to your blog but I absolutely love it! I've been using it as a basis for the Loki helmet I am trying to make. It is proving harder than I thought possible at the moment. I have used paper mache as my base helmet. Can you tell me how long you spend sanding? It seems that part takes the longest, and it's the part I hate the most as well.
    Also, do you do commissions?
    Once again, thanks for being so cool. All your work is amazing and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello Wednesday! thank you for your kind words and being a fan of my blog. sanding does indeed take a lot of time. I use a variety of grit sandpaper as well as a mouse sander to get my sanding done. aside from sanding I find my biggest difficulty is having patience. when I am excited about a project I kind of rushed through it sometimes. but when you have patience and take the time to make things look exactly how they should look than the end result is worth it. I have not done any commission work yet but I am open to it. feel free to leave me your email address and I will email you back and help you with anything that you need help with. thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there, Loki's helmet looks INCREDIBLE!! You did an amazing job on this and just wanted to say well done mate!
    I have a couple of questions about the helmet, approximately how much did it cost you to make? and whether it would be feesable for a beginner to make based on these steps alone? looking to make one for comic con in october :) Great work man, keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Storm Chaser.
    First of all, thank you for your kind words.
    The cost is a bit tricky for me to guess, since I had a lot of the supplies on hand already. The majority of it is insulation foam - which you can get at a hardware store in sheets of 8' x 4' for around $15. I think I only used one sheet for this helmet. The thinner crafting foam sheets are less than $1 each at Michaels or AC Moore. I think I used less than 10 sheets. The cardboard, glue and gold paint I had - but each of those aren't overly expensive. The wood filler - which I used copious amounts of, are about $8 for a 32oz container - but there are less expensive wood filler alternatives. I think you can do it for less than $50.
    And by the way, I am also a beginner at making such things, so if I can do it chances are you can too.
    Let me know if there is any other way I can help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the AMAZING reply and so speedy, just about to go and get some of the materials to begin making the helmet, just have a couple of questions about stuff that is probably really obvious but im a complete beginner :D sorry. I wondered what you used to sand down the helmet? and what this does and how often you have to sand it down? Thanks so much for responding to my last questions again, you're a real inspiration!!

      Delete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. NO problem StormChaser. We all start out as beginners.
    I have several different types of sandpaper. Since it's not very expensive you should purchase a few different types from course to fine. The course sandpaper is good to work with once your filler has dried and you really need to sand down a lot. The fine sandpaper will really smooth out the surface to where you want it to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great thanks!! I'll be sure to keep you updated on how things are going, and no doubt I'll probably have a couple more questions. Thanks Again!!

      Delete
  15. No problem. Can't Wait To See How Yours Comes OUt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks amazing! I think your best move was adding the filigree. Beautiful! (and totally do-able) How much did it weigh once finished?

    The wood filler is a BRILLIANT idea. Whenever I needed to make a surface smooth to simulate metal or polished wood or something I always got so frustrated since anything I did left something to be desired. Do you think you could use the super light weight wall spackle (the kind you fill in nail holes with) for smaller pieces like armor plates or jewelry?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can anyone tell me whether this sort of Foam will be ok to create this helmet with, never done this before and am struggling to find something like the one he uses. --> http://www.anyfoam.co.uk/sheet-foam.php?gclid=CJrsk5zH9bgCFe_LtAodwlgAwg . any alternatives or the actual stuff he uses would be great too. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Cas and thanks for your comments.
    You can use spackle for such things - I often use spackling paste since it is a little more dense than standard spackle. It is also more moist which makes for easier sculpting and manipulation. But when it comes to small things I would use Epoxy Clay - which is a 2 part clay which hardens super hard. My fear is that if you use spackle or even wood filler for something small, it might easily crumble or break.

    ReplyDelete
  19. StormChaser - that foam looks like furniture or carpet foam. I have never used the stuff with crafting - I'm not sure that is what you are looking for, or what you want to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok thanks, really struggling to find something like what you are using, went to look today in a hardware store and all they had has solid, rigid stuff and didn't think this was what you were using. Please correct me if I am wrong

      Delete
  20. For the majority of the helmet I used Insulation foam. This stuff is pretty rigid and will only be found in hardware stores. It is used for insulating attics and the such. I do not know where you are located, but if you are familiar with The Home Depot or Lowes, they sell them in Pink or Light Blue Sheets. They should feel like styrofoam - only more dense. Here is a link showing the Home depot version:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Corning-Foamular-F-250-1-in-x-24-in-x-96-in-Tongue-and-Groove-Foam-86BG/100320343#.Uge2gpI3uSo
    Let me know if this helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah great help!!! completely cleared everything up for me, I'm from the UK so i'll look around the Hardware stores which we have here. Thanks so much for all your help!! Literally you are THE best!

      Delete
  21. hello storm. you are too kind. I am happy to help. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the start of it, if you're interested :D

      Delete
    2. http://storm-chasr.deviantart.com/art/WIP-Loki-Helmet-392945240

      Delete
  22. Hello there, Sir,

    i just wanted to thank you for this awesome tutorial! I'm a complete and utter novice at costume and prop making, but I've been following your tutorial for my Thor and Loki helmets for Comic Con, and although they are nowhere near the high standard of yours, I'm really really pleased with the results so far, and I know that I could not have done it without your brilliant guides. So thank you very very much, and hopefully I shall have a very happy brother when he sees his helmet for the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello NI, thank you for your compliments. I'm glad my blog has helped you in making your helmets. I'd love to see how yours come out!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Is there a way that you can upload or post the templates that you used during the steps where you'd cut out cardboard to wrap around the helmet for the crown? Also templates for the horns? I've gotten to the part where we cut the front and it looks great, but we're stuck with the crown and the diamond on the front. Please and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey Loki of Asgard,
    I'm sorry but I do not have the templates for what you're looking for. As stated in the blog, I made those shapes by hand when I was powerless after hurricane Sandy. No digital files were used. But it was simple enough making the paper templates. Rest a piece of paper against the part you want to do and draw the outside shape. Then have fun adding whatever shapes you want inside that shape. Also, if you're making a Loki helmet based off of my instructions, I would love to see how it's turning out!

    ReplyDelete
  26. We're not as good as you seeing as this is our first project ever, but it's turning out well in my opinion. Thank you for your help, it's just that we both suck at drawing so we had hoped you had something we could print out so we could just use it as a cutout. We will definitely send you a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm looking forward to seeing it! Sorry again, that I don't have templates to share. My advise is to draw stencils in pencil. Find a design that you like and then cut it out. If you want, If it helps, I can photograph the designs on the helmet and email them to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking your time. We hope to finish this soon. Your tutorial has been such great help.

      Delete
    2. Sure thing. What's your email? I'll take some pics and email them to you in a little while. I'm happy to help.

      Delete
    3. You can definitely click on my profile to get my email. Send them to me, we're currently sanding down the wood filler. So sturdy and it dried so fast.

      Delete
    4. I'm sending the photos now. Let me know if you have any problems with them!

      Delete
  28. Hi Timbo! Thank you so much for the amazing tutorial on Loki's helmet. I am currently in the process of making a Lady Loki costume and I've searched all over the internet for a tutorial with easily obtainable materials and I finally found yours! =)

    I have once question though, maybe I am a bit slow, but when you say you put plaster wrap all over the helmet do you mean the wrap that you put on injuries or is it a liquid? I went to Home Depot today, but they didn't know what I was taking about.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello Mariya, and thank you for liking my tutorial. The plaster wrap that I use is generally used for broken arms/legs, etc. But you can find it at arts & crafts stores such as Michael's or AC Moore. It also goes by the name plaster cloth. If you can't find it in stores you can easily find it online, like on Amazon.com. Let me know if you need any other help, and please send photos of your build. I would love to see it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! btw, did you use an x-acto knife to cut the foam? How did you keep it so smooth? Mine is all flaky and I don't think I will be able to get the shape I want if I keep cutting like this =/

      Delete
  30. Make sure your xacto knife is sharp. A dull blade will create a mess. Also you can use fine sandpaper to smooth out your cuts

    ReplyDelete
  31. What material is the helm? Q_Q My english is so bad...

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hello Louisa. Most of the helmet is made out of Insulation foam and cardboard.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Tim, your helmet is amazing! We are going to attempt it fr our 11yr old for Comicon. Yours are some big shoes to follow and I think you missed your calling. You need to be a professional prop designer if you aren't already! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you lid for your kind words. If you need any help along the way please feel free to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Tim, we got started and spent about 4 hours, so far. My husband thought it would be a good idea to use a bicycle helmet for the base...hmmmm...we tried it, and along with 3d foam, and we used your foam, and made a support around the inside, it doesn't look too bad. I have some questions weather or not we will be able to coat the whole thing with wood filler tho, like yours. Also, can you paint, or what kind of primer did you use on the 3d foam...will the paint melt it? I can't figure out how to post a pix on here, I wanted 'your approval' or advice on where we are so far.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hey Lid,
    A bike helmet sounds like a great base! I'll have to try that one!
    Before I applied any primer to my helmet, it had layers of wood filler, then plaster wrap, then more filler. Using a few layers of cheap acrylic paint will also coat the foam enough to apply primer. As for primer, I generally use Filler primer that I find at the automotive store. If your foam is not sufficiently covered than the aerosol will melt the foam. You can send me your email, and I'll be happy to correspond with you should you want to send pics, or have more questions.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I would love to send you my pix and get 'the master's' opinion. We had your blog up all day yesterday using your's as a model, trying to interpret over to ours. Here is my e-mail : lydipayne@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks this helped me get a 100 on my project

    ReplyDelete
  39. Glad to help! I would love to see your project!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hey Timbo,
    Wonderful tutorial, i had no idea how to tackle this project until the fateful interwebs led me to your blog. The helmet turned out spectacular. I was wondering what kind of glue you used for the thin filigree part of the helmet. Was it still hot glue just used in very small amounts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to include another question, how heavy did it end up being, i imagine the heaviest parts being the plaster wrap and wood filler.

      Delete
  41. Hey Brian, thanks for your questions. First of all, the fateful interwebs are awesome! At the time that the filigrees were applied, a hurricane knocked out my power for several days, so I couldn't use hot glue. I wound up using krazy glue - which worked well, but I did get a lot on my fingers. I imagine hot glue will work just as well in small amounts. Once the helmet was done, it was heavy - maybe 4 or 5 pounds, but not heavy enough to make it uncomfortable to wear. I would love to see how yours is coming out.

    ReplyDelete
  42. This helmet was freaking amazing. Its the coolest helmet of any character in my opinion. outstanding job sir.

    ReplyDelete
  43. This is a serious question... Do you make and sell? I would buy one from you in a heartbeat. I could never make one that good.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hello Merdin and thank you for your comments. I may be selling some helmets soon as I am moving across the country and I plan on taking only the essentials. I will keep you updated if I do plan on selling some items.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I just wanted to say thank you for creating this very detailed build post. I know how much of a pain it is to do a build and document it at the same time. I recently built a Loki helmet for my daughter's cosplay and your post was a big help. Here's my take in case your interested: http://coregeek.wordpress.com/2014/03/02/working-with-worbla-king-loki-build-helmet/

    ReplyDelete
  46. Incredible work coregeek! I am glad my tutorial helped out. Yours really came out looking great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Time to start a gold helmet club!

      Delete
    2. I'm all on board for that!

      Delete
  47. I have no words for how amazing this looks! And I was wondering what kind of clay you used?? And where could I acquire such a thing, Micheals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments! I used air drying clay - I don't remember the brand - but I bought it at Michael's if that helps.

      Delete
  48. Hello I know its late but how much didit cost you to make it? And where did you get the print outs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cheyenne. If I had to guess, I'd say the cost to build this was maybe around $80. I printed out my templates at my job - which can print 12x18 paper. You can also print out something that large at Kinkos or Staples - or on a home printer, but you'd have to print several pages and tape them together.

      Delete
  49. Hi Timbo!

    I was looking through the interwebs for a Loki helmet and came across your blog. I am a student filmmaker looking to make a fan film in late May and am in need of a Loki Helmet. Do you sell your art? Is there a link I can follow to purchase any helmets you may have completed before? I clicked on your webpage, but it said it didn't exist for some reason. If you want to talk more private, you can email me at jrcurry15@gmail.com

    Thanks!

    Joey

    ReplyDelete