Saturday, November 17, 2012

The Elder Wand


So, after making my Harry Potter style wands (seen here), and my Girlfriend's Bellatrix Wand (seen here), my Girlfriend's Mother wanted one.  She wants the Elder Wand, mostly to restore power to her house from Hurricane Sandy, but also because it's a cool looking wand.  So I am happy to make it for her.

But this will probably be the last wand I make for quite a while.
To start I looked up a bunch of reference photos on line.


Then I took pieces of insulation foam and glued them together.  I only had pieces left - which is why I simply didn't use a whole piece of foam.


Next I drew a rough layout of how the wand will look onto the foam.


And then began to carve it out.


Because this wand is quite thin at the top, I'm starting to think that foam will not survive the trimming and sanding I will be throwing at it, so 5 minutes after I started, I stopped.


I will use a paint brush instead.  To make the wand a little longer, I used a small pencil I had hanging around.


Using glue, cardboard and tape, I connected the brush handle to the pencil.


And then wrapped the pencil and brush in some Apoxy Clay and let it dry over night.


The next morning the clay hardened beautifully.


Next I gave everything a good sanding.
Once I cleaned up the wand, I started to add some clay to form the round bumps on the wand.


While the clay was still soft, I took the rounded cap of a marker and began to make indents on the bumps.


And I am happy how that worked.


I set the wand aside and let it dry overnight.  The next morning the wand looked and felt good. 


After some light sanding this wand is ready for some primer.
The First coat was light gray.


The second coat was dark gray.


When the primer dried, I painted the wand brown.


Then used some black shoe polish to give it some streaks.


Next, I mixed a bunch of colors to really give it texture and realism.


And finally a coat of clear enamel.


And that's it!






I hope you've enjoyed reading!



4 comments:

  1. Yes, another great read! Well done, Timbo, you've once again inspired me. All the best, Phil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cant wait to be able to use it!!!!! Actually, have to get a nice display case for it - I would keep it at work, to use on certain people, but I'm afraid it would disappear.
    Thanks so much for making this for me!
    Momica

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. My pleasure Mom. I'll see if I can find a nice display box for you.

    ReplyDelete