Thursday, December 20, 2012
AT-ST Walker Helmet
While making my Iron Man Version 1 helmet I had a funny idea of making a helmet that looks like an AT-ST Walker. One day at work I drew the basic shape of the front & sides of the AT-ST and printed them out at a size that would fit on my head.
Then I grabbed some foam core and double taped the templates on..
I cut them out...
...and glued them together.
I used some insulation foam for the circular gun mounts on the side of the helmet.
Using and Xacto knife and sand paper I rounded the edges...
...and glued them on with some other foam core shapes created from the templates.
I kept the knocked-out eye pieces to make the lids and glued them on.
Below are a few images of the helmet approximately 2 hours after I started this project.
Next I gave it a coat of light blue acrylic paint to begin the process of sealing in the exposed bits of styrofoam.
When it dried I tried it on to see how it looked so far.
Haha! I love it so far!
I plan on giving this helmet several coats of paint - mainly to coat the foam parts, but to help it along I gave the exposed edges some wood filler.
While that dried I went to work making other parts such as the hatch on the top and the main and side guns.
Next I glued them on and added the hump at the top behind the hatch.
After sanding the wood filler, I gave everything a coat of black acrylic.
I gave it a second coat of black to cover the few missed spots and to get all the underside surfaces.
When that dried I added more elements to the top, sides and back.
Next, another coat or two of acrylic gray paint.
Below are a few shots of me wearing the helmet.
I forgot to mention earlier about how I made all the guns. They were all created out of popsicle sticks. For the different thicknesses, I simply rolled up paper with double sided tape around the popsicle sticks.
Next I gave the whole helmet a coating of white glue. This should definitely seal up all the foam parts that are susceptible to being dissolved by aerosols while priming and spray painting.
When applied it's white, but it dries clear.
After it dried, I added glue to the insides.
When everything dried I found that the weather was acceptable to spray on a coat of filler primer.
I started with the bottom and insides.
When they dried, I flipped it over and painted the rest.
Here are a few shots of the helmet drying in the cool December sun.
When the primer dried I started the weathering process with black acrylic paint.
Below are a few shots after I was done with the initial sponged-on black.
Next I took more black acrylic and darkened a few key areas.
...and threw in a few scrapes with silver enamel paint.
Then I took it outside and gave it some matt clear enamel. First I applied it to the insides.
....and then the outsides.
And I'm done!
The cold air made some imperfections in the finish but I like it - gives the illusion of a really roughed-up helmet.
I could have really gave the helmet more detail, but I like the simple look to this helmet.
All in all it was a fun helmet to make. I hope you've enjoyed reading!!