Sunday, December 23, 2012

Happy Holidays from Timbo!

I'd like to wish all my friends, followers and readers a happy holiday season whether you celebrate Christmas, Chanukah, Kwanza or nothing at all.  2012 has been a very rough year for myself and many people close to me.  Despite all the heartaches and troubles, everyone, especially this time of year should stay positive and keep their chin up.  Take comfort in friends, family and things that make you happy.  For me, I have many friends and family whom I love dearly, and I have my crafting which always makes me happy.

So, just like at Thanksgiving I'm giving my readers a holiday treat with a look at my projects that I have completed this year, and ones that are currently being worked on.

Below is a large image of my wall of stuff.  As you can see, I am running out of room.
(Click the image to see a larger view)

From top to bottom, left to right:
Top left shelf -My Astronaut/assault helmet, Horned Fett helmet, Iron Man V2 with my Snub pistol, Harry Potter wands and my Link Sword behind them.  Top right shelf - Both my red & green X-Wing helmets, Loki helmet and below and behind them are my Gun Blade, Elder wand and Bellatrix Wand.  Bottom left shelf - My black Stormtrooper helmet and Thor's helmet with Mal Reynold's Pistol V2, The Samaritan and Han Solo's pistol below them.  Center shelf - Iron Man V3 & Iron Man V1 helmets.  Bottom Right Shelf - Captain America helmet (still in progress), Bat Man helmet with Batarang, Uruk-Hai helmet with my Klingon Pistol below (still in progress), Tie Pilot helmet and my Mal Reynold's Pistol V3.

Below is a shot of a Boba Fett helmet being constructed out of crafting foam.  Next to it is a Game of Thrones Dragon Egg.


Below is the start of a AT-AT Driver helmet and a ROTS Clone Helmet.


Below we see the Dragon Egg next to an almost completed AT-ST Helmet.


Below is another shot of the AT-ST helmet.  I should be done with this helmet after the holidays, and will have a blog entry soon after that.


So, that's about it for now.
I wish you all a very happy and safe new year!  May 2013 be better and brighter, and hopefully this year I'll get a basement or garage and start seriously cranking out more projects.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!


Thursday, December 20, 2012

AT-ST Walker Helmet


While making my Iron Man Version 1 helmet I had a funny idea of making a helmet that looks like an AT-ST Walker.  One day at work I drew the basic shape of the front & sides of the AT-ST and printed them out at a size that would fit on my head.


Then I grabbed some foam core and double taped the templates on..


I cut them out...


...and glued them together.


I used some insulation foam for the circular gun mounts on the side of the helmet.


Using and Xacto knife and sand paper I rounded the edges...


...and glued them on with some other foam core shapes created from the templates.


I kept the knocked-out eye pieces to make the lids and glued them on.
Below are a few images of the helmet approximately 2 hours after I started this project.





Next I gave it a coat of light blue acrylic paint to begin the process of sealing in the exposed bits of styrofoam.


When it dried I tried it on to see how it looked so far.


Haha!  I love it so far!
I plan on giving this helmet several coats of paint - mainly to coat the foam parts, but to help it along I gave the exposed edges some wood filler.


While that dried I went to work making other parts such as the hatch on the top and the main and side guns.


Next I glued them on and added the hump at the top behind the hatch.




After sanding the wood filler, I gave everything a coat of black acrylic.



I gave it a second coat of black to cover the few missed spots and to get all the underside surfaces.


When that dried I added more elements to the top, sides and back.




Next, another coat or two of acrylic gray paint.



Below are a few shots of me wearing the helmet.




I forgot to mention earlier about how I made all the guns.  They were all created out of popsicle sticks.  For the different thicknesses, I simply rolled up paper with double sided tape around the popsicle sticks.




Next I gave the whole helmet a coating of white glue.  This should definitely seal up all the foam parts that are susceptible to being dissolved by aerosols while priming and spray painting.


When applied it's white, but it dries clear.


After it dried, I added glue to the insides.


When everything dried I found that the weather was acceptable to spray on a coat of filler primer.
I started with the bottom and insides.


When they dried, I flipped it over and painted the rest.


Here are a few shots of the helmet drying in the cool December sun.




When the primer dried I started the weathering process with black acrylic paint.


Below are a few shots after I was done with the initial sponged-on black.





Next I took more black acrylic and darkened a few key areas.


...and threw in a few scrapes with silver enamel paint.


Then I took it outside and gave it some matt clear enamel.  First I applied it to the insides.


....and then the outsides.


And I'm done!










The cold air made some imperfections in the finish but I like it - gives the illusion of a really roughed-up helmet.


I could have really gave the helmet more detail, but I like the simple look to this helmet.


All in all it was a fun helmet to make.  I hope you've enjoyed reading!!