Saturday, January 5, 2013

Daft Punk "Guy" Helmet


Up next, Pepakura Daft Punk helmet - specifically the "Guy" helmet (the Gold one on the left).
I started making this helmet around the same time as 2 of my friends made their own Daft Punk helmets.  They made them for Halloween, and started making them a mere 4 days before Halloween itself.  Below is a picture of them and their awesome helmets.


The amazing thing about their helmets is that they had never made any thing like this before.  I gave them the pepakura files, and instructions how to do it, and they did a superb job.

As for me, here is how mine started out.



These images are of my first attempt at making this helmet.  I started making this back when I first learned of pepakura.  Back then I used bondo and fiberglass/resin - back before my landlord informed me that he didn't like me using these materials in my apartment.




This helmet was also the one of the first that I decided to use spackle on.  I sanded down the spackle a bit and here's what it looked like.



Then I added some primer.


After that dried I applied some wood filler.


I won't write out all the processes I took to make this helmet as they are pretty much the same as my other helmets: Wood filler, sanding, primer, wood filler, sanding, primer, etc.
But here are some photos of those steps.












So this helmet took a nasty spill one day and got damaged.  I didn't scrap it, but I did make it a mold for the visor instead.  To do that, I cut the helmet in half and filled it with expanding foam.


And then I put the half-helmet in my vacuumformer.



That worked out very well!

Fast forward several months and I decided to remake this helmet, this time using crafting foam.



This helmet was made the same way as the helmet at the beginning of this blog, only I substituted paper for foam.  The black foam is thicker foam and is quite sturdy (for foam), while the white foam is a lot thinner and easier to shape into the dome.


But the helmet needs to be more rigid, so I will need to cover it in a few layers of white glue.  But since the visor is white already I decided to paint it black to make it easier for me to know where I have and have not covered in glue.


When it dried I added the white glue.


While the glue dried I patched up the visor mold which had taken some minor damage.


When the wood filler dries I will sand it down smooth. When I came back the next day to the main helmet I found that the white glue did a good job of strengthening it.


The visor area doesn't look too great because of the dried drippy glue, but this area will eventually be covered by the vacuum formed visor.  But we'll get to that later.  A few more layers of white glue should make the helmet pretty rigid.  But before I add more glue I decided to fill in some gaps with wood filler.


and when it dried I sanded those areas.


When I finished sanding and cleaning the helmet I gave it another coat of black paint.


When the paint dried I smoothed out a few more areas, this time with spackling paste.



and then I decided that I wanted to smooth out the visor area, so I applied some spackling paste.


After it dried and was sanded I gave it yet another coat of black paint.


When the paint dried I decided to give it the second coating of white glue.


As before, it dried clear and had a nice, smooth coating which helped make it stronger.  Then I decided to apply glue to the insides as well.


When that dried I added more spackling paste, especially to the visor area to continue smoothing it out.


Then I sanded again...


...and painted again.


This is probably the last bit of sanding I will do for the visor - after all it's just going to get covered by the visor.  Next I found some Nerf discs that would make decent shapes for the ears.


So I glued them on.


Next I gave the whole helmet a covering of watered down spackling paste.


Then when it dried I sanded it with fine sandpaper.  I also sanded my older helmet which will be the mold for vacuum forming the visor.


Then I cleaned it up and gave it the first coat of gold paint.


...and then a second coat.



Since I want the visor to be as dark as possible, I painted the area behind it black.



When the helmet had dried I decided to try it on.


Looks good....of course I can't see out of it just yet, but I will soon.  I then took my visor mold and started the vacuum forming.


The new casting worked out well.


It's a little big on the helmet itself, but I can work around that.


But I still need to see through the foam, so I cut out a hole for me to look out of.



I could see....but not enough so I cut almost all of the face area out.


When the weather warmed up a few months later I finally applied some nite-shades tint to the visor.


The outside looks great!  It's super reflective and shiny!


While that dried I painted the insides of the helmet black.


And then took it outside and gave it a few coats of gloss enamel.


Below both parts of the helmet dry outside.


Once both sides were dry I glued them together.


I did have a lot of trouble gluing it in place.  My first method involved using Krazy glue, but for some reason that didn't stick.  My second method involved using white glue, and again nothing took.  My last resort was to use hot glue.  I used my low temperature glue to hopefully keep the thin plastic from becoming misshapen. 


Unfortunately there was some distortion.  On the bottom of the visor the heat from the glue gun did misshapen the visor slightly.


It was unfortunate, but I'm not going to let it get me down, because it still looks pretty awesome.  Next I tackled the wires found on the back of the helmet.


I didn't have individual, different color wires handy, so I decided to use some computer ribbon wire I had.  I cut them in strips..


...and glued them to the back.


I used a black strip of foam to cover the ends of the wire.


Since my Daft punk helmet does not really match the real thing, I decided to add a few plugs I had left over from the computer ribbon wore.




The last step was to add some furniture foam to the insides so the fit would be snug.


And I'm done!!!





I'm glad this project is finally over.  I started it well over a year ago and it feels good to see it done.  I wish I had done a better job with some parts of it, but until I get the time, space and experience to put into it, this will do nicely.


Thanks for reading!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Timbo - Just an idea for your wires if you ever make similar helmets. Try bending coloured straws to give off the original effect you wanted :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea! If I wind up doing this helmet again I will definitely try that! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. can you give me the pep file to both helmets ? I been looking and looking but no one wants to share anymore :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure Thing! I Got Mine On therpf.com And Id Be Happy To Share. send me your email address and I will send you the files

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you can see through the nite-shades? Probably a silly question…

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Eva,

    Not a stupid question at all. Yes, you can see through Nite-Shades. It's made for tinting car lights.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my Pleasure Eva. Let Me Know If Theres anything Else I Can HeLp With

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Timbo,
    Will the wood filler crack?

    ReplyDelete