Friday, March 1, 2013

Stormtrooper Rifle (E-11 Blaster Rifle)


Several years ago I made my own Stormtrooper blaster out of a Piece of PVC tubing, cardboard, window weather stripping and several pieces of empty toner containers from an old job.  I pulled my blaster out of a box recently and the poor thing was in shambles.


Here's a little Star Wars Trivia for you:
According to Wookiepedia, the Stormtrooper Blaster (called the E-11 Blaster Rifle) were originally made out of Sterling L2A3 sub-machine guns.


I was happy with my blaster at the time, but now I think I can make it better.


To start off, I first disassembled all the screwed on parts.


Then I ripped off the weather striping that made up the 'rubber' grips on the barrel.


I removed the handle and I left the front and back caps on.  Then I gave the whole thing a good sanding to remove leftover glue and other residue.


Once that was done and cleaned up I started by applying a thin strip of crafting foam to the front of the barrel.  This covered up a few holes that I did not want seen.


Then I began on the 'rubber' grips.  These will be made out of thicker crafting foam.  I cut 5 strips..


...and trimmed them to the right size.  I also angled the edges to more closely resemble the actual grips.


Then I cut thinner strips of the thick foam...


and trimmed them and angled the edges..


...and glued them on top of the first set of foam strips.


Then I glued them to the barrel.


Next I cut some more strips to make up the top of the gun which holds the scope.


And I glued them together.


I put a piece of cardboard on the ends to make the edges look nice and flat.


Then I glued it onto the body of the gun.


The part that I originally used for the 'ammo' was the handle of a printer toner cartridge.  Even though it doesn't exactly look like what should be there, I liked it, so I glued it onto the gun, and screwed it in place.


But since the toner handle was flat on the back and the gun is round, I cut some strips of foam to fill in the space between the handle and the gun.


I glued them together and then glued it in place.


I also decided to make an ammo cartridge that fits into the gun.  This was done with 2 pieces of EVA foam cut out to fit in the toner handle.


I glued them together and also glued a white thin strip of foam to cover the seams.


And it fits nicely.


Next I glued the handle on.  Originally the handle was closer to the front of the gun.  Now it's closer to the back.  Once the glue dried I screwed it in place.


Next I took 2 pieces of EVA foam and made the mount for the scope.


Then I glued on the scope.


Using a thick piece of crafting foam, I glued a strip that completely went around the mount & scope.


Then one by one I started adding pieces of foam here and there to spruce up the look of the blaster.



The one thing I never made on the original gun was the fold up stock.  Now I'm going to make one, but it wont actually fold out.  To do this I used - you guess it, more crafting foam.  A long strip of thick crafting foam.


I glued one end to one side of the gun handle and the other end to the other side of the gun handle.


Then using more foam I created the rest of the stock.


Anyone who uses this crafting foam will know that it is quite flexible.  But after several layers of paint and some spray on clear enamel, it will harden nicely and be less flexible.

For the front of the scope I used a thick, stout plastic coin roll.


Then I started to screw on some of the nic-nacs that were originally on my gun.  



I also screwed in the trigger guard.


And then added some screws.



Not too bad so far.  Once again, my rifle is not very screen accurate, but it's looking a lot better than before.


Next I gave the whole blaster a coat of black acrylic paint.


After a second coat of black, the Rebel Blaster (seen here) & Stormtroooper Blaster dry side-by-side.


Next I added some silver paint to give it some wear and tear.



Below are 2 photos showing my new and improved Stormtrooper blaster along side my Toy Stormtrooper blaster (which I painted black).



My blaster might not be very screen-accurate, but I sure like it better than the store-bought blaster.

When the weather warmed up I took the gun outside and gave it a few coats of clear glossy enamel.


And I'm done!



I'm glad I fixed up this old gun! And I hope you've enjoyed reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment