Thursday, May 30, 2013

Clone Trooper Helmet (AOTC)


My next project will be a Clone Helmet from Star Wars Ep.II Attack of the Clones.


I have a toy helmet I bought a few years ago (on the right), but a short while ago I found a thread on the RPF.com about fixing up the toy helmet to look like the helmet seen in the movie.


Below is the link to see that thread.

My first step was to disassemble the helmet.




I removed the visor and covered it with painters tape.


I then reassembled the shell of the helmet.


Next I decided to use some fiberglass and resin to attach the 2 halves of the helmet together.



Below the Clone helmet and my NY Yankees Stormtrooper helmet dry after an application of fiberglass and resin.


I also had to glue on the front of the mohawk.


While that dried I printed out the template for the correct face plate shape around the visor from the thread that is mentioned in the rpf site.


I then cut out the template and traced it on to a piece of a 'FOR SALE' sign that I had laying around.


Then I cut them out.


Next I used a 2-part epoxy glue to adhere the new pieces to the helmet.


When it dried I used Apoxie Clay to fill in the spaces from the new cheeks/visor.


I also used Apoxie clay to fill in the numerous gaps and spaces that were all over the helmet.



When the clay dried I began sanding.


This was quite tedious.  I used sandpaper, my mouse sander, my dremel and files to get every little nook and cranny.


In between sanding, I used some more of that FOR SALE sign to cover the parts of the helmet that housed the on/off switch and the sound buttons.



When the glue dried I used more apoxie clay to fill in the gaps.


While that dried I added wood filler to many parts of the helmet to smooth out the surface.


Next I sanded everything and cleaned it up.


  Then I took it outside for a coat of primer.



The first coat was red primer.  The second coat was gray primer.  As always, I try to get as many projects in at the same time since the weather near me is sometimes temperamental.



Next I sanded and added wood filler for fix a few spots.


When the filler dried the helmet was sanded and cleaned.


Then received a coat of red primer.


When the primer dried it received more sanding and cleaning.


And a few small fixes with wood filler.


Followed by sanding and cleaning.


Then priming.


Unfortunately it began to rain expectantly so my helmets had to be moved inside for drying.  Luckily my landloard did not complain about the smell, and nothing bad happened to the helmet as a result of the rain....


...other than a small crack in the paint in one areas of the helmet, but this is easily fixed.


A few other areas needed touching up with some wood filler.


....then sanding....


...then priming.


When the primer dried I circled the little imperfections I had to fix.


Luckily they are all rather small and can be fixed with a small amount of filling and sanding.


Once that was done I took the helmet outside for a few coats of white paint.


Below the clone & Clone Utility helmet dry outside.


When the white paint fully dried, I masked the areas I wanted to paint a different color.


Since I was running low on other colors I wanted to use, I wound up using a powder blue paint.  I had a lot of that color.


When the blue dried I removed the masking tape.


Next I started painting in some gray areas.



Then I started adding some wear and tear with some gray paint.


I also used some black and white paint markers to add to the weathering look.


Next I added the black to the ring around the dome.


Then I took it outside for some clear glossy enamel.


Next I used an x-acto knife to start cutting away the tape that covered the visor.


Given the amount of paint, primer, filler and clay, this was no easy task.  But once it was all off I was done!





This was a fun project to work on.  I feel like it took me a long time to finish it, but the time was worth it.


Thanks for reading!

25 comments:

  1. is it just me, or is it ironic that you Labour so hard to achieve physical perfection of the helmet, only to go and muddy up the paint-job with weathering and such, when you probably could have been just fine with going from gray primer to white paint, the first time around. (?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jason, and thanks for your comment. If you look at other helmets I've built you'll see that I make all my helmets have a weathered look. It's simply what I prefer. Since these helmets are pretty inexpensive and easy to come by, I could always purchase another and make it without the scars of battle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dude u are like my hero. this is amazing! cant wait to try it my self

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! Awesome design! I have the same toy helmet and I want to do something similar although I'm curious though, how long did it take you to make this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember off the top of my head but I believe it was 2 to 3 weeks.

      Delete
  5. What type of materials did you use

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're all listed in the blog entry. Plastic FOR SALE sign, Apoxy Clay, Wood Filler, Primer, Paint.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  6. Hi I have a helmet like this and have never done anything like this how hard would it be for me to do something like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nate. This project was a little tricky for me, but if you take your time I think you should be able to do it.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing your work with me, almost done mine already. Question, what would work best to remove small amounts of primer from the visor of my helmet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would probably use a glass scrapper to clean up the visor. Be gentle with the blade as you don't want to scratch the visor.

      Delete
  8. Most of the places I go say they don't have apoxie clay could I use bondo as a substitute or if not can you tell me a brand of apoxie clay so I could order it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used bondo on mine. It should work!

      Delete
    2. Hey Nate. The brand I use is by Aves and the best place to get it from is Amazon.com. Most stores would not sell it. Only places that specialize in productions, or sell similar products (such as smooth-on molding products).

      Delete
  9. And yes, Bondo should work pretty well, and that's easy to find. Another alternative is 2-part plumbers putty - which can be found at any home depot or lowes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So I messed up on the apoxy glue when applying the new pieces to the helmet is there another type of glue I can use

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can probably use crazy glue or some kind of plastic cement (similar to what's used on plastic models). Or perhaps someone else here might know of a good alternative. If 5 minute apoxy is too short a time to set the pieces on, I believe they make other glues with a longer set time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now on the putty did you kinda fill it all the way in or did you just build on the outside of the visor

      Delete
  12. I used apoxy clay to fill in the area. If you're using putty, I'd do it in layers and build it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The space between the visor and the for sale sign is pretty small any way to layer it. And sorry for the constant questions it's my first time doing something like this just want to make sure I'm doing it right

      Delete
  13. If it's a small space then you most likely won't need to layer it.
    And no worries about the questions. I'll help as best as I can.

    ReplyDelete