Thursday, May 9, 2013

Killjoy Ray Gun


A loyal follower of my blog asked for assistance in making a Killjoy Ray gun - which can be seen on My Chemical Romance's music videos.

From what I've seen there are 4 different guns - they are all identical except for the paint job.


My friend Hallena also provided some images of the actual gun...


...and some templates from her blog, craftinglikeasir.blogspot.com.

So, using her templates and images she provided, I redrew the pistol in Adobe Illustrator.


And then I printed them out.


I cut out the main shape of the gun and mounted it to a large sheet of cardboard.


I cut one out to serve as the main template and to use as the center of the gun.


On both sides of the template will be sheets of crafting foam (.25" thick).


I glued the template on one piece of foam and then cut it out.


Then I glued the template onto the other piece of foam.


And then cut it out again.  Now the cardboard template is sandwiched in by 2 pieces of foam.


Then I glued the two remaining cardboard templates on both sides and cut it out.


Then I cut some more strips of cardboard.


And I used those strips to cover the top, bottom, front and back.


Next I went back to my template and cut out the shape for the handle and trigger area.


I used the template to cut out 2 pieces from thick foam.


Then I glued them on.


Next I glued on the grips using thick white crafting foam.


Then using a sharp X-acto knife, I beveled the edges of the grip and around the trigger.  I will sand these later.


Since the barrel goes out a little on each side, I cut a piece of cardboard to the shape I wanted it to go out.


I did this for both sides and glued it on.


Then I cut a thin piece of insulation foam...


...and used it to fill in the areas of the barrel.


When everything was shaped correctly I glued the insulation foam barrel in.


Using a knife and sandpaper, I created the bevel I needed.  I then repeated the process for the bottom part of the barrel.


When both sides of the barrel were done, I glued a strip of thick crafting foam onto the top of the gun.


Using my templates, I created the shape on the top of the gun and glued it on.



Next I glued on some of the smaller elements which were made from thin crafting foam.


Then I did some sanding.


Next I folded and cut a small piece of cardboard to form the emitter.


Then glued it on.


Next I gave the whole gun a coating of black acrylic paint.


When the black dried I applied wood filler to a lot of areas that needed some touching up.


Next came sanding


Followed by another coat of black paint.


When the paint dried it looked like this.


Next I took the gun outside and gave it generous layers of filler primer.


The first coats was light gray.  The second coats were black.


When the primer dried the gun looked good, but there were still many areas that needed touching up.


The angles of the front barrel were bothering me, so when the primer dried I cut some cardboard...


...and cut it to fit the barrel better and glued them on.


Then I applied wood filler to fill in some of the gaps from the new barrel addition, plus a few other areas that needed touching up.


Then I sanded again.


Next I gave the whole gun another coat of black acrylic paint.


When it dried the whole gun was nice and smooth looking.




There are still a few spots that needed touching up.  So once again, I applied some wood filler.


And then sanded, cleaned and applied some filler primer.


Below the Ray gun dries along side my Buffy the Vampire Slayer Scythe (coming soon).


Next I gave it a coat of black primer.


While the filler dried I hopped on the computer and played with possible coloring and designs.

I decided I wanted my ray gun to be purple.  When the primer dried I gave the gun a light sanding and fixed a few small spots.


And then I gave the gun a first coat of purple paint.


When the paint dried it was still quite dark, so more coats were needed.


After several coats of purple acrylic paint the gun is still looking too dark...


...so I went out and brought some purple spray paint.


That did the trick.  When it dried I started to draw on details using some silver paint markers.





I also added some gold paint.


The last step was spraying on some clear enamel, but since it has been rainy the last few days I wound up adding a little more detail here and there.




Finally nice weather came my way and I finally took the gun outside for some clear enamel.


And I'm done!!






Thanks for reading!

UPDATE:  Many of you have been asking for my templates and a complete list of materials I used.
The templates I am happy to share.  Send me your email address in the comments and I'll send you the templates when I can.  As for the materials, here's what I used:


Printer paper (to print the templates)

Cardboard - which I mounted the templates to with some double-stick (transfer) tape.
This cardboard I got from my job and the closest thing to it is the cardboard that can be found on the back of a pad of paper.  The thickness was around 2mm. You might be able to find something similar at a scrap-booking store.  Don't use corrugated cardboard boxes.

The transfer tape I used I bought from a company called taperite, but you can use a glue stick or spray mount which are a lot cheaper.

An X-acto knife and scissors to cut out the templates.
A ruler to use as a straight edge for cutting straight lines.

Crafting foam - this I bought at the art store Michaels for about  89 cents a sheet (approx 8x10 in size).  This foam can be found around the other 'sheets' of material such as felt sheets.  For this project I used 2 thicknesses that the store offered - one was very thin (approx 2mm thick) and one that was a bit thicker (approx 6mm thick).  I don't remember how much of these sheets I bought, but since it's so inexpensive I bought a lot.

White glue or Hot Glue for gluing the pieces together.

Insulation foam - this stuff can be bought at Home Depot or Lowes.  You can buy an 8' x 4' sheet that's .75" thick for under $20.  You won't need that much though.  At home depot they sell 2'x2' squares of it for about $5.  At Lowes it's a light blue material and at Home Depot it's pink.  The stuff feels like very dense styrofoam.

120 and 220 grit sandpaper for sanding the insulation foam.

Acrylic paint for sealing and painting your piece.

Wood filler - you can buy this at walmart, ace, lowes or home depot.  I usually buy "elmers" brand and get the largest bucket of it for around $10-12.

Filler Primer spray paint.  This can be bought at any hardware store or auto store.

Spray Paint (I used purple for my gun).

Paint Markers (I used silver and gold for my gun).

Clear coat spray paint (I believe I used a clear gloss).

Also, after years only one person has sent me back a picture of their finished project.  So I'd like to thank Marin for sending me this picture.  Good job Marin!






50 comments:

  1. You make it look so easy...

    Just gave you a shout out on Replica Props Forum, Timbo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The trigger. It's awesome, but the trigger

    ReplyDelete
  3. How large are your templates? I was wondering because I am planning on making these. I would like to know the dimensions of the paper and the image that you printed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Julia,
      My template is not too large, but you would most likely have to print it on 2 or more pages. The size paper I printed it on was 12" x 18", but again you can print the separate elements onto one normal sized page. the gun itself is about 8" tall x 12.5" wide. If you give me your email address I can email you my file.

      Delete
  4. Hi! I was just wondering if you could email me your templates if you still have them? My email is kenziej@yahoo.com if you do. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the long delay Lemon. I just emailed you the files!

      Delete
    2. hey, could I have the files as well? please send them to zazu247mcarlson@gmail.com

      Delete
    3. can you send me the files as well? also, can I have permission to use this in a webseries? please send them to zazu247mcarlson@gmail.com

      Delete
    4. Could you also email me the files

      Delete
  5. Your ray gun is awesome!! I am hoping to make one for myself and would totally appreciate it if you would be willing to send me your template. Thank you so much! My email is: mtxspice@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! Your ray gun is absolutely amazing! I was going to make one for me and a friend, and I was wondering if you could send me the template that you used. My email is Kelsianagardella@gmail.com. Thank you so much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If it's not to much of a burden, please send me the templates :) it'd be much appreciated email: Peanut66.KM@gmail.com thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I was wondering do you have those templates that you used? Could you send them to me if it's not bothersome. My email is annelizabeth9872@gmail.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi I was wondering if it's not a burden, if you could send me the templates you used? vrandi98@gmail.com is my email. Thank you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Could you email me the template at staycloudywithjccaylen@gmail.com



    I commented before but I couldnt see it so I just commented again thanks olivia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Could you email the template at kategummere@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Would this be a good primer? I can't seem to find a specific "filler primer" at the local Lowes, but I did buy this.. http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-2089830-Stops-12-Ounce-Primer/dp/B000S0P76E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bee,
      That primer should be good enough. I actually use that primer often enough in my projects. You'll probably have to use an extra application or two to get the same results as filler primer. When I can't find filler primer at my hardware store I go to an automotive store. They should always have it since filler primer is made mostly for auto body repairs.

      Delete
  14. This tutorial is very informative and amazing. I'm going to try my hand at making Party Poison and Kobra Kid's guns for an upcoming event in a few months. If I have any questions, would I be able to post or email them to you? Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for your compliment. I'd be happy to help any way I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just wondering if it was at all possible for you to provide a list of the materials and ingredients you used; such as the glue, primer fillers, etc. I got my base cut out and I just want to make sure I do it right. I do love the pictures you provided, along with the captions. They do help a ton. Thank you!

      Delete
    2. Hey Sweetdeath,
      If you give me your email address I'll email you a list of all the materials I used.

      Delete
    3. sirgabbage@gmail dot com Thank you so much!

      Delete
  16. Lol could I pay you to make one for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Dylan, I've made several props over the years for people and for many of them I still have yet to receive payment. For this reason I no longer do commissions. But I believe my instructions are fairly simple and I can send you my templates so that you or someone you know can make it.

      Delete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Actually, could you send the list of materials and templates to me as well?
    I'd really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Charlie,
      I updated my blog to show a list of materials and tools that I used. Scroll above and you'll see it in white.

      Delete
  19. I like your post. This post really awesome and very helpful to me. Please keep posting good contents. Thank you.
    laser tag rental in Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome job dude! Can you send me the template? Deathboundstark@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Please send me the templates so I can C.A.D this and upload it to thingiverse
    ottavioap@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello! I was wondering if you could send me the templates you used? My email is crawling.epidemic@gmail.com
    By the way, the gun looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Can you please email me these awesome templates @bvbfangirlqueen@gmail.com ? :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Could you please send me your awesome templates @bvbfangirlqueen@gmail.com? :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is awesome! Could you email me your templates please cause I'm working on a killjoy cosplay rn and the gun is still missing :D My email is marenmaehler@yahoo.de :) Thank you very much, Maren

    ReplyDelete
  26. Man, this is such a great tutorial. I was wondering if it'd be okay to use crafting chipboard for the thin cardboard you used. The packs are relatively cheap, a helluva lot better than the 15k carbons that BL/ind is asking for, but I've never worked with them before. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your compliment! As far as I'm concerned chipboard is cardboard (non-corrugated). So you can use the same methods that I used. As for the "15k carbons & BL/ind" - I'm not sure what that is, but I'd be happy to help however I can.

      Delete
  27. Man, this is such a great tutorial. I was wondering if it'd be okay to use crafting chipboard for the thin cardboard you used. The packs are relatively cheap, a helluva lot better than the 15k carbons that BL/ind is asking for, but I've never worked with them before. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  28. wow great tutorial!! it looks so smooth. I would really appreciate if you could send me the templates for my party poison cosplay ;) my email is: Luca.2307@hotmail.com

    thanks in advance!! :D
    - Luca

    ReplyDelete
  29. wow great tutorial!! it looks so smooth. I would really appreciate it if you could send me the templates for my party poison cosplay ;) my email is: Luca.2307@hotmail.com

    thanks in advance! :D
    - Luca (i may have commented twice but something went wrong so yeah)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi I'm sorry for bothering, but can you please maybe email me your templates? My email is megvorster@gmail.com
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  31. Can you email me the templates ? This is amazing !
    jaimisky@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Could you please Send me the template!?
    My Email is Vamh102@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hey I was wondering if you could send me the templates. I thought that this was an amazing tutorial and would love to try making it.
    Keep up the good work:)
    sophisticatedcupcake23@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi, Turbo. I was just wondering, is it possible if I could pay you to make me one of these please? Comic Con is coming up and this would be amazing to have. Please answer back(:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,
      I am sorry, but I no longer do commissions. I also will be doing a lot of traveling and shows for my job for the remainder of the year, so I also won't have much time to work on it. But the templates are available in the link at the end of my blog, and the step-by-step directions shown should be enough for you to quickly make your own, or have someone you might know who's creative to make one for you.
      Sorry.

      Delete
  35. UPDATE: Due to hackers, I no longer can offer my templates to people.
    It's a shame that one person can ruin everything for everyone.

    ReplyDelete