Then I took out the plunge router add-on to my dremel tool, and began to add a bevel to the edges.
With the doors done for now, I focused on making the rest of the cabinet. I took my sides and marked the positions for the screw holes.
I then drilled the holes.
This is where I ran into problems. Either the wood was labeled incorrectly at the store, or I just picked the wrong wood, because this wood is very tough to drill through. I actually bent and broke some screws too! I apologize for not having pictures of this - at the time I was getting quite frustrated and the last thing from my mind was documenting it. After walking away from the project for a little while, I came back with a new idea. Not wanting to ruin the wood, or any more screws, I decided first to glue the 4 pieces together.
Then I lined up the doors to the frame to make sure everything fit correctly.
Once the glued dried overnight I put the frame on top of the hard wood backer and drew a line to mark where to cut. This will be the backer of the cabinet.
Then I cut the hard wood....
Then my landlord helped smooth out the sides with his block plane and some sand paper.
Finally I went back to my poorly drilled holes and filled them with wood filler.
Once the filler dried, I sanded everything smooth.
Now I have the doors complete, and the frame complete. It's time to put this thing together! I marked off the spots where the door hinges will go, and drilled holes for them.
Then I screwed the hinges to the doors.
And then I added 2 mounting hooks to the back edges.
Looks great so far!
And then I cut the wood using my jigsaw. Next I marked the areas where the darts will be placed.
And then I clamped the 2 pieces together and drilled holes for the darts.
Then I routed the sides and sanded.
Next I glued them in place on the inside of the doors.
And I took it outside to stain.
Once it dried I added some coats of polyurethane.
Then I made markings on the insides of the doors for the chalkboard areas and masked it off with tape.
And then I painted on some chalkboard.
After the first coat had dried a few hours, the wood texture still showed through, so I will give it a second coat, but I have to wait 24 hours before applying a second coat. Everything looks great, but I feel the front doors needed a little something else, so I created a graphic for the front using Adobe Illustrator.
Thanks for reading!!!