Now that I have all my lumber I can start! I began with the tops of the book shelves. I drilled pocket holes in the 2x6's and then screwed them together using pocket screws.
Soon I had a set of 2 book shelves tops.
Next I started making the frames. Once again I used pocket holes and screws to assemble everything. I started with one frame first.
Now the frames are together! Then I added the lower shelves. Once again, these were attached using pocket holes and screws.
Now it's time to sand, so I brought both shelving units outside.
I purposely left a decent amount of imperfections. Aside from liking the look of it, I also wanted it to match my coffee table and end table. But some areas will receive some wood filler - namely the holes on the top where the screws were drilled...
Once the filler dried I sanded them smooth.
After some clean up it was time to work on the cross beams. Like my coffee & end table, I took my 2x2's and put them in place on the table.
Using a pencil I traced where each piece will fit into the corner of the frames.
I decided for these shelves that I was not going to make the X shape I did on my other furniture. Instead I will have only one beam going diagonally across each side. The main reason for this was that the sides were not wide enough for 2 criss-cross beams. It will still match my other furniture, so I am ok with it. Once I had my shapes, I cut them out using a saw.
Then I sanded them and put them in place.
Then I did a little more sanding. Looking at the back of one of the book shelves I felt they needed a back - perhaps some more cross beams.
I started staining from the bottoms first.
I used the same stain as I did for the coffee table and end table. Since this stain also has polyurethane in it, all I had to do is wait for it to dry.
Once the stain had dried, I flipped the shelves over and started staining the tops. Since the shelves were too high to reach when standing upright, I placed them on their sides.
When it had dried I brought the shelves inside and began sanding it by using steel wool, and various grits of sandpaper.
Then I added the decorative end caps and bolts.
Next I removed the stuff from my old book shelves....