Friday, December 6, 2013
With the success of a few wood working projects, I decided that my next wood working project will be to make a computer or work desk. For some time I have been wanting to make my own computer desk, as the several I have bough over the years have never lasted long. I think I can build something better, and for less money. Ever since I began learning the 3D program SketchUp, I have made several versions of a computer desk to fit the area in my apartment where my current "desk" is (my current desk is a plastic fold-up table).
There is a lot of clutter around my desk - which is right near an alcove with a window. This alcove has been a dumping ground for a lot of projects, materials and scrap. Hopefully my new desk will clean up this area a little bit.
So for a few months I designed a plethora of different tables....below are several images of these designs.
The table above and below were going to be my final design. This table will be 6 feet long and give me enough desk space for my computer work and dual monitors, plus 8 shelves for my computer tower, printer, tools, paper and helmets like the one in the images.
Then a problem arose. The wonderful apartment that I had lived in for years no longer became wonderful. It was time to move. I now needed my current table to use in my storage space.
So with my table gone, I had to improvise with my computer set up. What I came up with was less than desirable.
I didn't feel quite safe with the monitors balanced on a board in between 2 book shelves. So I sought to build a simple table that would be easy to construct and deconstruct, yet strong enough to hold up my computer, and the many boxes I plan on putting on it during my move. My table shown has a bottom shelf and casters (wheels) on the bottom. Since this is only going to be a temporary table for the next few months I am not going to add the wheels or bottom shelf.
My table would be constructed of simple 2x4's and plywood. Nothing elegant or expensive. I made the lumber list and brought it to the store to cut.
Instead of drilling pocket holes and the such, I decided to go the easy route and I bought some aluminum corner braces (also called 90 degree rigid ties). The 2x4's simply fit into these and all I have to do it screw everything together.
I also remembered that I have numerous attic floor tiles I bought when I moved into my apartment. I decided to use these for the table top instead of buying and cutting plywood.
So I got my wood cut and brought it home.
Then I started by assembling the 2 sides of the table using the corner braces.
With the 2 sides done, I then added the beams for the bottom front & back.
Followed by the top. I also added a beam in the middle to strengthen the table top.
Then I took my attic tiles and screwed them to the top.
About 2 and a half hours later I was done.
It's very large and very strong, and I wish I had built it sooner.
The great thing is, it will be easy to disassemble once it's time to move out in a few weeks. All I'll have to do is unscrew everything. Once I have a new home I will most likely reassemble this table, add the bottom shelf and casters, and most likely put on a better table top. Once I do, rest assured I will have an update for this blog entry. Thanks for reading!
UPDATE: I decided a few weeks later to add the bottom shelf. To do this I used the same 2x2 attic tiles. Since the bottom shelf is the same size as the top of the table, all I had to do is cut away where the 2x4 legs go. So I used a spare 2x4 to trace the shape onto the attic tiles.
...and then started cutting away.
The fit was perfect.
Once all the tiles were in place I screwed them in.
And I'm done again!