Since I painted on the green without any sort of primer, the paint was not sticking very well. I also became bothered by the seam from the 2 halves of the helmet.
So I decided to fill the seam and make the helmet one solid piece. I removed the eyes and my green paint. The image below shows some of the paint chipped off - which I thought looked really cool. I may incorporate this into the final design.
While I did this I contemplated changing up the design a little. I googled what other people had done to stormtroopers and found a lot of cool designs.
So next I played with a few variants in photoshop.
The first coat was black primer. The second coat was gray.
When the primer dried there were still some scratches from sanding and a crack at the seam.
After some sanding and cleaning, I applied some watered down wood filler to fix the crack and a few other spots.
When the filler dried I sanded and cleaned again.
Unfortunately that ugly crack formed again.
And I left them outside to dry.
Next I masked off the front bottom of the helmet so I can spray on silver.