Thursday, May 30, 2013

Clone Trooper Helmet (AOTC)


My next project will be a Clone Helmet from Star Wars Ep.II Attack of the Clones.


I have a toy helmet I bought a few years ago (on the right), but a short while ago I found a thread on the RPF.com about fixing up the toy helmet to look like the helmet seen in the movie.


Below is the link to see that thread.

My first step was to disassemble the helmet.




I removed the visor and covered it with painters tape.


I then reassembled the shell of the helmet.


Next I decided to use some fiberglass and resin to attach the 2 halves of the helmet together.



Below the Clone helmet and my NY Yankees Stormtrooper helmet dry after an application of fiberglass and resin.


I also had to glue on the front of the mohawk.


While that dried I printed out the template for the correct face plate shape around the visor from the thread that is mentioned in the rpf site.


I then cut out the template and traced it on to a piece of a 'FOR SALE' sign that I had laying around.


Then I cut them out.


Next I used a 2-part epoxy glue to adhere the new pieces to the helmet.


When it dried I used Apoxie Clay to fill in the spaces from the new cheeks/visor.


I also used Apoxie clay to fill in the numerous gaps and spaces that were all over the helmet.



When the clay dried I began sanding.


This was quite tedious.  I used sandpaper, my mouse sander, my dremel and files to get every little nook and cranny.


In between sanding, I used some more of that FOR SALE sign to cover the parts of the helmet that housed the on/off switch and the sound buttons.



When the glue dried I used more apoxie clay to fill in the gaps.


While that dried I added wood filler to many parts of the helmet to smooth out the surface.


Next I sanded everything and cleaned it up.


  Then I took it outside for a coat of primer.



The first coat was red primer.  The second coat was gray primer.  As always, I try to get as many projects in at the same time since the weather near me is sometimes temperamental.



Next I sanded and added wood filler for fix a few spots.


When the filler dried the helmet was sanded and cleaned.


Then received a coat of red primer.


When the primer dried it received more sanding and cleaning.


And a few small fixes with wood filler.


Followed by sanding and cleaning.


Then priming.


Unfortunately it began to rain expectantly so my helmets had to be moved inside for drying.  Luckily my landloard did not complain about the smell, and nothing bad happened to the helmet as a result of the rain....


...other than a small crack in the paint in one areas of the helmet, but this is easily fixed.


A few other areas needed touching up with some wood filler.


....then sanding....


...then priming.


When the primer dried I circled the little imperfections I had to fix.


Luckily they are all rather small and can be fixed with a small amount of filling and sanding.


Once that was done I took the helmet outside for a few coats of white paint.


Below the clone & Clone Utility helmet dry outside.


When the white paint fully dried, I masked the areas I wanted to paint a different color.


Since I was running low on other colors I wanted to use, I wound up using a powder blue paint.  I had a lot of that color.


When the blue dried I removed the masking tape.


Next I started painting in some gray areas.



Then I started adding some wear and tear with some gray paint.


I also used some black and white paint markers to add to the weathering look.


Next I added the black to the ring around the dome.


Then I took it outside for some clear glossy enamel.


Next I used an x-acto knife to start cutting away the tape that covered the visor.


Given the amount of paint, primer, filler and clay, this was no easy task.  But once it was all off I was done!





This was a fun project to work on.  I feel like it took me a long time to finish it, but the time was worth it.


Thanks for reading!