The sides were held together using pocket screws. At this point I did not attach the table top to the frame. Next I added the legs, again using pocket holes & screws.
Now it's time to make it look a little nicer. I went out and bought some wood trim, and using my miter saw, I cut the ends at 45 degree angles. This trim will sit below the edges of the table top.
Once all the pieces were cut, I assembled my dremel table router and made a bevel on the bottom edges of the trim.
Once all the trim was beveled, I nailed them in place.
Next I used some wood filler to fill up the nail holes and some cracked wood and to fix up other parts of the table that needed additional filler.
While the filler dried I decided to make an additional shelf for my desk. This shelf will sit on top of the desk, but will not be attached. To do this I bought another White Wood plank and made use of some 7" furniture legs that I had hanging around. I marked the plank where the legs would be screwed in. I happened to have 5 furniture legs, so a leg went in each corner, and one in the middle.
But before I attached the legs, I made use of my router table once again, and beveled the edges of the plank.
Then I drilled holes for the furniture legs......
...and then screwed them in.
The furniture legs don't quite match the rest of the desk, but I'm ok with that. The shelf is not permanently attached to the desk, and I can always unscrew the legs in place of something else later.
Because the wood I used for the top shelf is a soft wood, it warped a bit. The changes in temperature from the warm hardware store to the cold barn could also made the plank warp slightly. So I placed some heavy tool boxes to help straighten it.
Once the filler dried I gave everything one more good sanding.
I'd like to take a moment to stress the importance of spray painting in a well ventilated area. The barn in which I am working in is quite spacious, but I did not have sufficient air flow. This can be dangerous and cause silly/stupid candid photos like the one seen below.
Although not seen, I did use a respirator, but it still remains that I should have been smarter and opened a window and door.
Back to the desk....once the filler dried I could see more areas that need filler and sanding.
So I filled and sanded.
Next I gave the desk a thorough cleaning with a damp cloth.
When the desk dried, I gave it a coat of white paint. No spray paint this time!