Monday, June 30, 2014

Workshop Tables

Several months ago I had made a temporary work table/computer desk and made a posting about it.  You can see this posting by clicking below:


Since I was in the process of moving when I made that table, there were not many photos - especially photos that weren't surrounded by clutter.  So I decided to make a new post, showing better pictures of my work table.  Now that I live in my own house and have space, I was able to start off making 2 tables.

The table I made in New York was a 6-foot long table.  I decided to start off making two 4-foot long tables.  I designed the tables in sketchup.


Once I knew how much material I needed, I went to the store and bought it.


All I had to work on was my saw horses, but it worked out well.


I cut the pieces I needed....


...and began assembly.  I used the same rigid ties that I had used on my tables in New York.


And very soon I had the frame of my first table.


I added a 2'x4' table top made out of 1/2" plywood.


The bottom shelf needed to be cut slightly in order to fit.



With one table done, I took my tools off of the floor, and placed them on my new table.


Time to begin the second table...


This one was made the same way as the first.




I added a power strip to the side of this table.


And before I knew it, I had 2 work tables!


These tables are great, but I needed a spot to hold some stuff - mostly my clamps.  So I screwed a 2x4 to the wall...


...and hung up my clamps and rulers.


I added a second, smaller 2x4 for my smaller clamps.


And my workshop was underway!


One problem I wound up having was the amount of saw dust getting under and behind my tables.  They are too heavy to move with all my tools stored on them, and it's annoying to remove everything simply to move the tables to clean around them...


....so I bought some casters (wheels)


And I attached them to the legs.  I added an extra 2x4 between the legs for support and I had a wider surface to screw the casters to.


With wheels my tables move around quite nicely.


Once both tables had casters, I promptly cleaned my work space.


And everything is nice and clean!


These work tables are simple to make, and not overly expensive.  I hope to soon add some more to my work area.  Thanks for reading!

UPDATE:  7 months after making these incredibly useful tables, I decided my garage needed another such table, only bigger.


I had some fold-down tables that were supported by saw horses, but these tables would not be strong enough to support some new machinery I was getting.


So I disassembled the folding tables...


...bought more wood....


...and made an 8-foot table!


I love this new table.  It's strong enough to hold my desktop drill press, my miter saw and some heavy boxes.


I then built one more table a month later.  This one is a 6-footer.


I made this table using OSB boards instead of plywood.  The reason being was that I didn't plan on doing much work on this table.  It's main function is to hold my new surface planer, plus various boards on the bottom shelf.  It does it's job very well.


 These tables are perhaps the most important tool I have in my workshop!  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment