Thursday, July 10, 2014
Death Star Trench for X-Wing Miniture game
Recently my father game me the X-Wing Miniature game, and I must admit, it's pretty fun. But playing the game on the floor or my dining room table, complete with yellow, red and green table cloth isn't all that great. So I decided to make a game mat that looks like...
THE DEATH STAR TRENCH!
After doing a search online, I found that other people have made the same thing.
So, I think I will make one of my own. To start I made a template in SketchUp for a game mat that will fit on my dining room table. This mat will be made out of insulation foam.
Next I went back online and found various Death Star surface textures such as the ones seen below.
I copied the textures and printed out sheets of it on card stock.
I printed enough to fit the length and width of my dining room table. I can always print more later if I need to.
Next, I went out and bought the insulation foam.
Then I began cutting it to fit the dimensions I laid out in SketchUp.
After a bit of cutting, toothpicks and some hot glue, I had my surface.
Then I continued cutting and gluing until I had the shape I wanted for the game board.
Next, I applied some double sided tape to my print outs and began cutting them out and adhering them to the surface.
After a few hours I had my surface completely covered.
At this point I took out the playing pieces and making sure the scale was somewhat accurate.
But the game board is not complete yet. Next I had to make some elements - namely the exhaust port and some laser towers. I used some reference images online to make these.
I made a turbo laser in SketchUp to 3D print, however I do not have enough filament to print them - so those will have to wait.
Instead I started on the exhaust port. I printed the exhaust port from photos found online. I adhered them to some leftover foam and glued it to the trench.
Then I added some black spray paint to dirty up the trench a little.
Next I wanted to add more elements since the trench was looking a bit flat. I took some leftover prints of the surface adhered them to cardboard boxes I had, since at the moment I did not have any normal cardboard to use.
I cut them out into smaller pieces...
...and began gluing them randomly to the trench surface.
Next I made some more features, this time out of folder card stock.
I then glued them to the whole piece.
At this point the trench is not yet complete, but it's far enough along for me to try out a game or two with it.
So, when my filament finally arrived, I started to 3D print a turbo laser.
I think the scale is accurate for the playing pieces, but it looks awfully big on the game board.
So I made some smaller Turbo Lasers for the sake of the game board. Also, my turbo laser above took over 6 hours to print, so smaller ones will probably take less time.
Next I began cleaning up my prints with files and my X-acto knife.
And then began applying many layers of primer.
When the primer dried I glued barrels to the turrets.
And then I painted them.
Once the paint dried, I placed them on my playing board.
And they look awesome!!!
I think I will make more Laser cannons in the future. For now, 2 is good.
For the last step I made some playing cards for the Death Star Cannon towers and the exhaust port.
Another fun project complete for now. Thanks for reading!