Thursday, July 10, 2014

Death Star Trench for X-Wing Miniture game


Recently my father game me the X-Wing Miniature game, and I must admit, it's pretty fun.  But playing the game on the floor or my dining room table, complete with yellow, red and green table cloth isn't all that great.  So I decided to make a game mat that looks like...


THE DEATH STAR TRENCH!

After doing a search online, I found that other people have made the same thing.


So, I think I will make one of my own.  To start I made a template in SketchUp for a game mat that will fit on my dining room table.  This mat will be made out of insulation foam.


Next I went back online and found various Death Star surface textures such as the ones seen below.



I copied the textures and printed out sheets of it on card stock.


I printed enough to fit the length and width of my dining room table.  I can always print more later if I need to.


Next, I went out and bought the insulation foam.


Then I began cutting it to fit the dimensions I laid out in SketchUp.


After a bit of cutting, toothpicks and some hot glue, I had my surface.



Then I continued cutting and gluing until I had the shape I wanted for the game board.








Next, I applied some double sided tape to my print outs and began cutting them out and adhering them to the surface.







After a few hours I had my surface completely covered.



At this point I took out the playing pieces and making sure the scale was somewhat accurate.  











But the game board is not complete yet.  Next I had to make some elements - namely the exhaust port and some laser towers.  I used some reference images online to make these.



I made a turbo laser in SketchUp to 3D print, however I do not have enough filament to print them - so those will have to wait.


Instead I started on the exhaust port.  I printed the exhaust port from photos found online.  I adhered them to some leftover foam and glued it to the trench.




Then I added some black spray paint to dirty up the trench a little.




Next I wanted to add more elements since the trench was looking a bit flat.  I took some leftover prints of the surface  adhered them to cardboard boxes I had, since at the moment I did not have any normal cardboard to use.



I cut them out into smaller pieces...


...and began gluing them randomly to the trench surface.




Next I made some more features, this time out of folder card stock.


I then glued them to the whole piece.




At this point the trench is not yet complete, but it's far enough along for me to try out a game or two with it.



So, when my filament finally arrived, I started to 3D print a turbo laser.






I think the scale is accurate for the playing pieces, but it looks awfully big on the game board.





So I made some smaller Turbo Lasers for the sake of the game board.  Also, my turbo laser above took over 6 hours to print, so smaller ones will probably take less time.


Next I began cleaning up my prints with files and my X-acto knife.



And then began applying many layers of primer.



When the primer dried I glued barrels to the turrets.


And then I painted them.



  



Once the paint dried, I placed them on my playing board.


And they look awesome!!!






I think I will make more Laser cannons in the future.  For now, 2 is good.


For the last step I made some playing cards for the Death Star Cannon towers and the exhaust port.

Another fun project complete for now.  Thanks for reading!


pew pew!

5 comments:

  1. Tim - you have excelled yourself with this! Amazing! Nerdy - but amazing...

    Love it!

    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  2. how did you make the playing cards? can you link the jpg?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lestat,
      I created the cards by scanning existing cards and modifying them in Photoshop. I can email you my files if you'd like.

      Delete
  3. This was an amazing read, with clearly detailed steps showing exactly what you did. And such a great outcome! Printing and cutting to card and foam board is certainly a low-tech approach, but the results speak for themselves! Fantastic work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind words Johnny!

    ReplyDelete