Friday, August 1, 2014

Wall Clock

When I first moved to Arizona I hung up 2 clocks in my office.  One clock showed New York time, and one clock showed Arizona time.  


These clocks were cool, but a bit redundant since my work computer shows the time in New York and my house phone/cell phone show Arizona time.  So I wanted to use one of these clocks in building a rustic looking grandfather clock for my house.


One problem I had was that I couldn't quite decide how I wanted the clock to look.


Another problem was that I didn't quite have enough material for building a 6-foot grandfather clock at this point in time.


So I decided to make a wall clock instead, something similar to a simple coo-coo clock.


I made some sketches with the material I had at hand.


and I was able to lay out something simple in sketchup.


Since I very often wing it when making my boxes, I decided not to design much in sketchup.  Instead I created a template in Adobe Illustrator for the bottom of the clock and the rest will be done spur of the moment.


I printed my template and traced it on the wood board which will be the main backer of the clock.


I then drew the angles of the top of the clock.


I made these cuts using my jigsaw.



When the cuts were complete I placed the clock on it to figure out what I wanted to do next.


I decided the sides would be next, so I cut the wood for the sides...


...and drilled pocket holes on the back of the clock to attach the sides.


But before I attached the sides I decided to use my router to pretty up the bottom decorative cuts.


When complete I attached the sides.



I also routed the sides to match the bottom.


And I added some supports to the back and sides.


Next came the 'roof'.  The angle was slightly less than 45 degrees.


I made the cuts, but decided I didn't want the edges to come to a point.  I left it flat so that I can add some decor to the top.


I drilled and screwed in the 'roof'.


Then I added a screw for the clock to latch onto...


....and I put a wall mount onto the back support.


I then hung it on the wall to see how it looked so far.



Not too bad.


Next I removed the clock from the wall and started building up the front.


I used the actual clock itself as a template to create new shapes on this board.


Then I cut out the new shape....


....and routed it.


Then I attached it to the clock with screws and glue.


Then I went through the same process and built up the front some more.



I cut 2 larger pieces of wood to create a secondary roof.


Attached them with screws and glue.


Then I added a top.


I put the whole thing back on the wall to see how it looked.



Getting better!


Next I added a piece to the back and attached some hooks to it.  Later on these hooks will hold onto the parts of the pendulum.


I added one more set of wood blocks - this time to the sides.



Then I filled all the holes with wood filler.


Once the filler dried, I sanded and cleaned.


Next came a coat of stain.


While the stain was drying I went to the store and bought pieces for the pendulum and chain.


I put hooks on the pieces so that the chain could attach to them.


The hooks work as they are supposed to, but I need to trim the chains a bit.


I was looking for a spread eagle flag pole top to put on the top of the clock, but I had no luck finding one, so I simply found this eagle toy and used it instead.  He's not glued on, simply perched on the top.


I added stain to the pendulum pieces as well.


When all the pieces with stain had dried, I began my favorite part - sanding to make it look rustic and worn.


When complete, I put it on the wall to see if it needed anything else.




It looks good, but I felt it should have a few more elements thrown in, so I used a gold paint marker and simply started to draw some swirls on.



I added my signature onto the pendulum.


I also screwed on some Compass coins I had to add a bit more detail.


And I'm done!  I hung this piece in our guest room.




I love how this piece came out, and it excites me to start working on a grandfather clock soon.


Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Tim! Really! You make it sound so effortless!

    ... and simply started to draw some swirls on...

    Fantastic result, and the weathering really sets it off.

    All the best to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Phil! Since I know you are a far better and more experienced wood worker than myself, I am truly flattered by your compliments!

    ReplyDelete