Friday, August 1, 2014
When I first moved to Arizona I hung up 2 clocks in my office. One clock showed New York time, and one clock showed Arizona time.
These clocks were cool, but a bit redundant since my work computer shows the time in New York and my house phone/cell phone show Arizona time. So I wanted to use one of these clocks in building a rustic looking grandfather clock for my house.
One problem I had was that I couldn't quite decide how I wanted the clock to look.
Another problem was that I didn't quite have enough material for building a 6-foot grandfather clock at this point in time.
So I decided to make a wall clock instead, something similar to a simple coo-coo clock.
I made some sketches with the material I had at hand.
and I was able to lay out something simple in sketchup.
Since I very often wing it when making my boxes, I decided not to design much in sketchup. Instead I created a template in Adobe Illustrator for the bottom of the clock and the rest will be done spur of the moment.
I printed my template and traced it on the wood board which will be the main backer of the clock.
I then drew the angles of the top of the clock.
I made these cuts using my jigsaw.
When the cuts were complete I placed the clock on it to figure out what I wanted to do next.
I decided the sides would be next, so I cut the wood for the sides...
...and drilled pocket holes on the back of the clock to attach the sides.
But before I attached the sides I decided to use my router to pretty up the bottom decorative cuts.
When complete I attached the sides.
I also routed the sides to match the bottom.
And I added some supports to the back and sides.
Next came the 'roof'. The angle was slightly less than 45 degrees.
I made the cuts, but decided I didn't want the edges to come to a point. I left it flat so that I can add some decor to the top.
I drilled and screwed in the 'roof'.
Then I added a screw for the clock to latch onto...
....and I put a wall mount onto the back support.
I then hung it on the wall to see how it looked so far.
Not too bad.
Next I removed the clock from the wall and started building up the front.
I used the actual clock itself as a template to create new shapes on this board.
Then I cut out the new shape....
....and routed it.
Then I attached it to the clock with screws and glue.
Then I went through the same process and built up the front some more.
I cut 2 larger pieces of wood to create a secondary roof.
Attached them with screws and glue.
Then I added a top.
I put the whole thing back on the wall to see how it looked.
Next I added a piece to the back and attached some hooks to it. Later on these hooks will hold onto the parts of the pendulum.
I added one more set of wood blocks - this time to the sides.
Then I filled all the holes with wood filler.
Once the filler dried, I sanded and cleaned.
Next came a coat of stain.
While the stain was drying I went to the store and bought pieces for the pendulum and chain.
I put hooks on the pieces so that the chain could attach to them.
The hooks work as they are supposed to, but I need to trim the chains a bit.
I was looking for a spread eagle flag pole top to put on the top of the clock, but I had no luck finding one, so I simply found this eagle toy and used it instead. He's not glued on, simply perched on the top.
I added stain to the pendulum pieces as well.
When all the pieces with stain had dried, I began my favorite part - sanding to make it look rustic and worn.
When complete, I put it on the wall to see if it needed anything else.
It looks good, but I felt it should have a few more elements thrown in, so I used a gold paint marker and simply started to draw some swirls on.
I added my signature onto the pendulum.
I also screwed on some Compass coins I had to add a bit more detail.
And I'm done! I hung this piece in our guest room.
I love how this piece came out, and it excites me to start working on a grandfather clock soon.
Thanks for reading!