Hello Friend! Welcome to my blog! Here you will find various projects of mine through out the years, as well as recent creations. Hopefully some of my stuff shown here will be a good guide for some of you, and for others perhaps a good inspiration to make your own creations. If you are a regular to this website, please be sure to look at older posts often - as I am constantly updating my projects. Enjoy!
Monday, September 1, 2014
Bean Bag Toss!
In the past, when I go out with my family I found that a lot of places have bean bag toss - aka corn hole - for kids to play with. And my nephews love playing bean bag toss. So I thought I would make one for my nephews to play with when they come over.
First I designed a regulation sized platform in Google SketchUp. The regulation size dimensions can easily be found on line.
I bought the wood
and cut the lumber down to size.
The exact size and location of the hole can also be easily found online.
Using rulers and a compass I drew out the diameter of the hole, and also the tops of the legs - which are curved so they can fold inside the platform when not in use.
I assembled the frame to the platform first with glue and clamps.
Then I nailed it with my brad nailer.
Using my jig saw, I cut out the hole in the platform.
I used my drill press to drill out the hole in the legs for the carriage bolts that will attach the legs to the platform.
Then I used my jig saw again to cut out the curves on the legs.
I placed the legs inside the platform and used the holes I drilled earlier to make new holes in the sides of the platform.
Then I attached the carriage bolts, nuts and washers.
Looking good so far!
I then attached a piece of wood to connect both legs.
And I used a file and sand paper to smooth the hole in the platform.
Next I used wood filler to fill in a few small holes - mostly from the brad nailer.
And sanded it when dry.
I no longer have the arsenal of colorful spray paint that I once had, but I do have plenty of stain.
When the stain dried I masked off a triangle leading from the bottom edge of the board to the center.
Then I painted white in that triangle.
I removed the tape when the paint had dried and began sanding the whole thing to make it look like something I would find at my old camp - worn, weathered and thoroughly played with.
I brought the whole thing outside and placed it on my 'grass' lawn.
I had planned on making this thing for a while, so I already had some bean bags I bought a few days earlier.
I'm a lousy shot.
..but I'm having fun, so who cares.
This was a very fun, easy and inexpensive project to work on and I hope my nephews enjoy it. If not, my brother says he'll come up with a drinking game which involves this.
Thanks for reading!
UPDATE: I received a commission to make a Seattle Seahawks themed Bean Bag Toss. Using photoshop, I colorized the image below so that my client could pick which color scheme they liked best.
They liked the option on the left - blue with green edges/arrow. So I went about making another bean bag toss.
Although I didn't take many pictures of the progress, this one was made more-or-less like the first one.
The only main difference was that I used a thicker piece of wood for the board. Also the frame was screwed together with pocket holes rather than being nailed together like my first one.
Then it was painted...
...and decals added.
After clear coat and some sanding, this board turned out quite excellently.
Since this out came out so awesome, I think I want to redo my original bean bag toss.
Only about a year old, this bean bag toss has been fun, but the Arizona heat, plus the occasional downpour has left it scarred.
These are small holes and cracks forming on the thin plywood top, plus the edges that had some wood filler had peeled off.
So to make it better I first had to take it apart. I started with the legs which were still in good shape.
Then the top came off. A lot of the plywood ripped off as easily as paper. I definitely need thicker plywood for the top.
I put aside the old top to use as a template later for the new top.
Next I removed all the brad nails from the sides.
I then trimmed off a little from the sides to easily clean up the edges.
Then I drilled pocket holes in the sides. No more nails.
Assembly of the new sides went easily enough.
Next I bought a much thicker piece of plywood...
...and screwed it to the sides using pocket holes/screws.
Then I began sanding.
It was at this point that the client I had earlier requested a second Seahawks bean bag toss (You actually play with 2 boards). So instead of improving my old one, I set out to make a second one to match the first Seahawks bean bag toss board.
I attached the legs to the base, this time with screws.
Then I did a lot of sanding...
...and sanding again.
Next came some white primer...
...followed by a coat of green. The first board I made had Green-on-Blue. This one will have Blue-on-Green.
I taped off the sections that will be left green...
...then I painted on the blue and removed the tape.
I added the same stickers and some clear coat and I'm done!
Above is the first one made and below is the second one.
At some point I'll get around to making new bean bag toss boards for myself. When I do, I'll post it here!
Thanks for reading!