Sunday, October 5, 2014

Loki Helmet v.2.0

The most popular posting on my blog by far is for my Loki helmet I made a few years ago, and it's been one of the crown jewels in my collection.  You can see my original build by clicking here.





Without going into too much detail, I no longer have it and I've been itching to start making one again.  But for this one I am going to do things differently.  Below is a picture of a bike helmet.  I see these helmets constantly and they are made almost entirely of foam.


So I decided to order one online and see if it would make a good base for a Loki helmet.  While I waited for the helmet to arrive I dug up my old Loki helmet plans.


I used them to print out paper templates for the horns.


I used that template to cut out new horns in some insulation foam.


When I finally got the helmet it had a plastic coating on the top and straps.


I carefully removed the plastic cover.


...and I cut out the straps.


Next I used my helmet as a template on more foam to begin making the additional neck/jaw areas of the helmet.



I cut out several layers of this.


Next it was time to glue these pieces together.  Ordinarily I used hot glue for insulation foam since no other glues seem to work well.  My brother suggested using liquid nails made for foam...


I glued then clamped.



The drying process took longer than stated on the bottle, but at the end of the day it seemed to have worked well enough.


Then I began shaping the horns with my belt sander.  This handled the outsides of the horn well.


For the insides I had to use a coarse sanding block.


But it came out well.


Below is a unsanded horn next to the sanded one.


so far it's looking good next to the helmet.


After a short while both horns were sanded.


I temporarily attached the horns to the helmet with toothpicks.





After the horns I began to shape the lower part of the helmet.





Next I used some air-drying clay to fill up the holes in the front where the horns will go.



I made some spaces for toothpicks to go.  This will hold the horns in place later while I'm attaching the horns.


Then I glued the sides to the top.  I also added a strip of foam to the inside back to fill in the gap and add some extra support.


Then I decided to fill in the other holes in the helmet with clay.


I let the clay dry 24 hours before working on the helmet again.


Next I added filler to the sides to help even it out.


When it dried I sanded.


I added the toothpicks back and glued them in place.


Then I attached one of the horns.


and then the second horn.


Both horns were glued in with quite a bit of glue, but everything held together nicely.




I filled in the gaps and seams with more liquid nails.


When all was dry I made some paper templates for the sides.


I used the templates on some thin crafting foam and cut them out.


Then I glued them to the sides of the helmet.




I put on the helmet and it fits well.  It's a little heavier in the front, due to the horns.  Later I will even it out better.


Before I can spray on any filler primer I need to fill and cover all the foam.  Propellant from the spray paint will dissolve the foam, so I painted on some layers with standard wall/furniture primer and a brush.  Since the foam helmet/horns/sides are quite porous, it took a long while to dry.



After several coats the helmet was fully layered in primer.


After a day of priming and drying it was ready for filler primer (from a spray paint can).




When the primer dried I added more clay around the horns and on the back of the helmet.



Next I added wood filler to parts of the helmet.




Then it received a lot of sanding.


Followed by a few layers of primer.




When the primer dried I sanded the whole helmet with some fine sandpaper.  I love how it looks.  It's smoother, but with some nice texture left behind.




This gives me an idea of how I want this helmet to end up looking....but I will get to that later.  Next I added some wood filler to the bottom and sides.


Then I started creating the crest for the front of the helmet out of insulation foam.


I glued it in place....


...then I covered it with cardboard and crafting foam.


Next it received some more wood filler, mostly to the new addition.


Throughout this process I have ignored the inside of the helmet.  It's been uneven and bothering me.  So I used my detail sander to begin leveling it.


I finished sanding with a sanding block to make it smooth.


I then coated the back with one big piece of thin crafting foam.  


Then I added more filler to the bottom & sides to clean up the edges.


Then came sanding....


...followed by primer.





Next I touched up some areas with a little more filler.


Then I sanded.


Next I made new tips for the horns out of air drying clay.



When the clay dried I sanded.


Then applied the last coats of primer.





Earlier in this blog I mentioned how much I liked the effect of the dark gray primer after being sanded with some very fine sandpaper.  It's time to finish this helmet up, and I began with sanding to recreate that look from earlier.





Next I took my gold spray paint and a large brush...


I sprayed the gold paint lightly onto my brush and began dusting the helmet.



This gave a great dirty, gritty look to the helmet.



It took a while to completely get the helmet the way I wanted.  The gold paint dried quickly, and I made sure to make many passes with my brush, each in different directions.




The final outcome was more than I hoped.


I let the helmet fully dry for a while before I applied some clear coat.



Once it dried, I tried it on.


Fits well.  Still a little heavier in the front, but manageable.


With the helmet done, all I needed was a new helmet stand (the one pictured has become my work stand).


So I bought some furniture legs, plaques and small wood shapes from Michaels and Home Depot.


Assembly of these stands takes about 5 minutes.


Below are my 2 most recent helmet builds with 2 new stands.



I coated the stand in the same dark gray primer that the helmet was painted.


And using the same technique as the helmet, I brushed on some gold spray paint.


And I am done!!!


It feels great to finish this helmet.


I loved my original build, but I feel this one is so much better than my first one.


Thanks for reading!


5 comments:

  1. Once again you have blown my mind!! with Version 2 of your helmet.
    I don't know if I can pull this off specialty making two of them. But I have 10 months to figure it out. Wish me Luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you the best of luck! Feel free to email me if you need help along the way!

      Delete
    2. Thank You I will keep you updated once i start :) I spent 2 hrs yesterday looking Through all of you post :) Well Done my new Friend well done , Do you have a FB where i can follow as well ?

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete