Friday, November 7, 2014

Clone Trooper Helmet (ROTS) Version 2

A few years ago I made a clone trooper helmet.  You can see my original build by clicking here.

I was never super happy with how that helmet came out, so I wound up purchasing a casting made by RPF member BSD (Thanks BSD!).

This new helmet is more accurately scaled than my original build.

It also looks a lot better, but it does need some work.

Around the time I received this helmet, I was packing up my apartment and getting ready to move across the country.  It sat in storage, got moved around, and wound up in a box under my guest bed for months.  Recently I took it out so I can finally start working on it.

The first thing I really needed to do was work around the helmet opening.  There is a considerable amount of leftover plastic - which I removed using my dremel.

Next, I sanded the seams from the 2 halves of the mold which made this particular helmet.

Once I finished sanding I needed to do some filling, but filler might not stick too well to the plastic, so I gave the helmet a coat of light gray primer.

When the primer dried, I began sanding with super fine sandpaper.  Primer also doesn't stick too well to this plastic as it easily peeled off is some areas while sanding.

I sanded the best I could, getting a nice smooth helmet.

I hadn't yet bought the filler I needed, so I grabbed my drill and started poking holes in the visor area.

Using the sanding wheel attachment on my dremel, I began sanding away the visor area.  The more holes I drilled in made it easier to sand this thing down.

For some tight spots I used a small saw to cut away material.

After the visor was knocked out, I needed to sand behind and make the insides level.  This is so that the actual visor will attach as flush as possible.

There were also several 'bubbles' in tight spots.

I removed them carefully using a very small tipped engraving bit.

I also used files to help smooth out some areas.

Once my sanding/filing was done, I cleaned up the helmet.  To fill areas that needed it, I wanted to use some auto body spot filler, but I couldn't find any in the local stores.  So I decided to try out some plastic wood - which is just really strong wood filler.

When the filler dried I sanded.

When I finished sanding I gave the helmet a good cleaning in preparation for...

...more primer.

When the primer dried, I once again gave it a sanding with very fine sandpaper.

One area of the helmet still needed a little filling.

Once the filler dried I sanded.

And then one final coat of primer.

Next I applied some glossy white spray paint.

I sprayed on a few layers at all angles.

When the white had fully dried I started painting on the details with Acrylic paint.  First came some grays...

...followed by oragne.

I used some more gray to add some weathering.

Then I painted on the black details.

Next I added clear coat.

While that dried I found the visor that came with my helmet and peeled away the protective film.

Then when the helmet had dried, I glued the visor in place.

And I'm done!

All I had left to do was make a new helmet stand and place it on my shelf with my other helmets.

Even though I did not create this helmet, I still feel like it's one of my own creations.  The person who actually made this did an amazing job, and I am hopeful that one day my work will be as good as theirs.

Thanks for reading!


  1. That's a drool-worthy collection you've got there, Timbo!

  2. Thank you Phil! I'm sure you have quite a collection yourself - which I'd love to see!