Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Rubberband Guns


For my next project I decided to make a rubberband gun.  Since I've never made one before, this gun will be quite simple - but a little more detailed than the guns pictured above.  I actually have a rubberband gun that my Aunt bought for me when I was a kid, but I can't seem to find it.  It would have been nice using it as a template, but I guess I'll have to wing it.

I had some nice leftover trim laying around so I decided this will be part of the barrel.


I cut 2 pieces and glued them together.


I also used a rejected sword handle - which also was made from pieces of trim.


And I'll use some clothes pins.


The old sword handle had another piece of wood glued onto it, so I removed it using a hammer and chisel.


Then I sanded to removed the old glue.


I glued and clamped the old handle to the new barrel.


I also used screws to hold it together.


Once the pieces dried I cut one end at an angle.  Later the clothes pins will be attached to this area.


I used my drill handle as a template for the gun handle.


I cut it out on a piece of leftover board and used the cutout as a template to cut out a second piece.


I attached both pieces with glue and screws.


Then I drilled some pocket holes into the handle.


I screwed them into the barrel.


The pieces hold together quite well.


So I removed the screws and began sanding the handle smooth.


Then I used my router to decorate the sides of the handle.


When I finished smoothing and sanding the handle I attached it to the barrel using pocket screws and glue.


Using a file, I notched a space for the rubberbands on the front of the barrel.


The front of the gun was looking a little bland, so I used another scrap piece of wood and drilled a hole with my drill press.


I then glued and screwed that piece to the front of the gun.


Using some wood plugs, I filled up the pocket holes I made earlier.


I glued and clamped them in place until they dried.


While they were drying I drilled 2 small holes into the clothes pins.  I will use these to screw the pins to the gun.


Once the glue had dried I sanded everything smooth.


Then I screwed on the clothes pins.



These clothes pins are not the most solid things out there.  Since they are thin plastic, they are quite flexible.  And as it happens, I can't seem to find a single rubberband in my house to test them.  So for now I removed them and prepped the gun for staining.


Stain applied.


A few minutes later I wiped the excess stain away and it looks pretty sweet.





The next day I sprayed on some polyurethane.


While that dried I went out and found some wood clothes pins.  These will be much better than the plastic ones I've been using.


I glued 2 onto the back of the gun...


...and clamped them on.


When they dried I tested them out.


The clothespins were a little weak, but I eventually found larger stronger ones.


This rubberband gun packs a punch!  It holds the rubber bands and shoots them fast and hard.


As soon as I completed this build, I wound up finding my old rubberband gun.


Now I have 2!  


But I had a feeling I will have more soon - and I was right!  This new gun was cool, but it's awfully big.  I decided to make 2 small ones.  To start I drew a small pistol shape into a piece of wood.


I cut it out with my jig saw.


Then I used my new shape as a template for a second gun and cut that out as well.



I used the rotary sanding bit on my dremmel to smooth out the cuts, most notably in the trigger area.


Then I screwed each gun onto my work table and began routing the edges with a round over bit.


When done, I unscrewed the guns and sanded them with sandpaper.


Next I filled in the holes with filler.


And then I glued clothespins onto the tops.


While the glue and filler dried, I filed a notch for the rubber band to sit on the front of the barrel.


When the glue dried I sanded them.


Then I tested it out with a rubberband.  The barrel is too small.


So I marked cut areas on both guns....


...and cut them out with the jigsaw.


Next I cut a piece of a dowel I had and glued it on.


This dowel is small, so I added another small dowel underneath.


I did this to both guns, glued and clamped and let to dry.


When all dried I tested them and they worked great!


Next step - stain!


When the stain dried I applied clear coat.


And I'm done!


These little pistols are great.





Thanks for reading!

UPDATE:  Several months later I had a ton of scrap material and some new tools to work with, so I decided to make another rubberband gun.


I had 2 triangular pieces of wood and a rather large dowel that would make a nice pair of revolvers.


For the shape I traced an actual revolver that I have.  I traced it on one of the pieces of wood.


Then I began trimming that piece of wood with my saws.




For the trigger guard area, I drilled holes with my drill press.


...then I cut out the rest of the area with my jigsaw.


I cleaned up edges and made the finger shapes in the handle with my dremel.


Then I traced the shape onto the second piece of wood.


But before I cut that piece out, I ran the first piece through my new router table.  Some of the wood cracked from this process.


So I decided to glue the cracked piece onto the other piece.  Now it will be only 1 revolver.


When the glue dried it took a lot of time cutting out the shape again.


This time the thicker piece of wood held up to the pressure of the router table.


Next I cut some pieces of the dowel to be the magazine for the revolver.



But before I add anything else, I need to sand the whole thing first.


Then I glued in the magazine.


For the barrel I glued together 2 pieces of leftover trim from a different project.


This was difficult to glue and clamp, so I glued it and balanced it against the wall.


Once the glue set, I added some nails and then some clothespins on the top.


I added a little decorative pieces such as some side trim, a muzzle, and cylinder underneath the barrel.


Since this gun is now thicker, I needed to carve away material to better fit my fingers.


The dremel was perfect for this.


Then after a little more sanding and cleaning, this thing was good to go!






Next I gave it some stain.


When the stain dried I applied some rub-on polyurethane.


And now I have another awesome rubberband gun!
Watch out!


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment