Friday, December 12, 2014

Rustic Head Board


With almost all the rooms in my house complete, I still have work to do in my master bedroom.  So the next project to tackle is making a headboard for my king size bed.  Ana White has a great tutorial for making the headboard seen below.


You can check out her post by clicking here.

I like her headboard, but I'd rather make one that better matches the dressers I've already made for the bedroom, so using her tutorial as a guide I designed my own headboard in SketchUp.


Luckily there is not too much lumber for this build - at least not yet.


I cut the pieces necessary with my miter saw.


Then I assembled the frame using pocket holes and screws.


Constructing this much only took about an hour.


Next I used some quarter inch pine sheets to cover the back.


Since I couldn't get one large sheet to fit in my car, I had to use smaller sheets.  This created some seams which I covered up with some scrap pieces of wood.


Like many of my projects, I don't follow the plans to a T.  I went out and bought some decorative wood pieces which I glued and nailed to the 2 top corners and one in the center.


I also bought more wood and started cutting and gluing and nailing pieces in where I saw fit.



I screwed in thin pieces of wood to the edges of the back panels to keep them flush.


After a few hours I was happy with it.




Next I needed to fill in a massive amount of cracks, gaps and other imperfections. For this I used a lot of wood filler.


 This took quite a while to do.


Since all these corners will be hard to sand, I used a wet rag to smooth the filler.



Once all the areas were I filled were smooth, I began sanding.


This too took a long time, utilizing most of my sanders and sand paper.


I also broke out my sanding block, which I have not used in ages.


After a few days of on-and-off sanding, this thing was almost done.


For the corners that had excess wood filler, I used a sharp chisel to even it out.  Then I followed up with some more sanding with sand paper.


When I finally finished sanding, I placed the head board out of the way for a while so I could park my car in the garage at night. 


Next I gave the head board a good cleaning followed by stain.


I used the same stain as I used for my bedroom dressers.


It may be hard to tell from the photo, but each of the different woods used in this project give the stain a slightly different hue.  The pine panels give the lightest, yellowish tint, where as the Douglass fir, and white wood pieces have a more saturated orange & red tint.


Once the stain was wiped and dried I began sanding to make it more rustic looking.


After a little more sanding and cleaning up, it's ready for polyurethane.


I applied some satin poly and let it dry.


Once the poly dried I gave it all a sanding with some very fine sandpaper.


Then I cleaned it and moved my bed out of the way.  Moving this piece from my garage to my bedroom was no easy feat!  This thing is heavy!


I used some brackets to help keep the head board attached to the wall.  It's not very pretty, but it will do the job until I figure out a better way.


Then I put the bed back and I'm done!


I think it looks great!


I started off thinking this project would be an easy one, but I was wrong.


A lot of work went into this thing, but the results were worth it!


Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Great work, Timbo! Loved this bit: "Constructing this much only took about an hour." I'd be lucky to get that much done in a day! (Measure twice, cut once, curse, get more timber, measure twice, etc...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's because you're more of a perfectionist than I am (Measure once, cut twice, curse, curse some more, carry on, cover mistakes with wood filler, etc...)

    ReplyDelete