Sunday, December 7, 2014
My dining room is a rather dark room, with no lighting of it's own. My girlfriend and I found this lamp at a Target and thought it might work well.
But I wasn't about to buy it. I would rather make it! After looking over our dining room and taking measurements I thought there was no good place to put such a large lamp. So instead, I worked on brightening up the fireplace I built. I started off with light-up logs and some LED candles.
These look great, but it's still a tad bit dark. So I bought a fake fire like the one I had in my first fireplace. This thing does light up the room better, however it is too large to fit in the fireplace I built.
So I put it off for a while, when one day I passed one of my wooden swords and shields and thought that the shield would make a fairly nice sconce.
So, I looked online for other rustic sconces to get ideas.
All the images I found were nice, but didn't quite match my other rustic stuff. So I just grabbed some spare wood, and decided to wing it.
I folded some paper to make templates.
I traced the templates onto 2 pieces of wood.
Then I cut out the pieces with my jigsaw.
I then screwed the 2 pieces to my work table, plus 4 scrap pieces that I just cut off.
Using my router, I gave nice edges to all of the pieces.
Next I cut the wood for the shelf part of the sconces.
These too were drilled to the table and routed.
I attached the shelves using pocket holes and screws.
Then I glued those small scrap pieces beneath the shelves.
Once it dried, I applied wood filler to all the drilled holes.
While the filler dried, I went out and bought 2 inexpensive candle lights.
Looks good so far!
Next, with the help of my girlfriend, the sconces were stained.
When the stain dried, I sanded them to look worn.
Lastly I hung them up!
They look great!
This was a simple project, which only added more to one of my favorite walls in my house. Together with the fireplace & vases, this wall looks incredible!
The candles could stand to be brighter, but I can always replace them.
All in all I am quite pleased with them!
A few days later my girlfriend asked if I can make 2 more matching sconces for the opposite wall of the dining room. I can never say no to her. I no longer had my templates for the first set, so I used one of the actual sconces to draw the shape on some wood.
Then I cut them out....
...and routed them.
One mistake I made on the first set was I routed all the sides of the shelf supports. This time I left the surfaces that touch the sconce wall and shelf flat.
Then I attached the shelf and supports and filled the holes.
Next came sanding and attaching the hooks...
Then the sconces were stained.
And then weathered.
Lastly I hung them up in the dining room.
I bought 2 more matching candles to place on the new sconces.
Out of all the rooms in my house, I think the dining room is the nicest looking of them all.
Thanks for reading!