Saturday, July 26, 2014

Rustic Bathroom shelf

While searching for something nice to hang on my bathroom wall, I stumbled accross this on Ana White's website:


I really liked it so I decided to make my own.  Mine will be slightly different then hers.  To start, I used some scrap wood I had, plus one or two newer boards bought for this project.



I cut the wood to size and made a template in adobe illustrator for the sides.



Using my jig saw, I cut those shapes out of the wood.


Next began assembly of the carcass.


Then I added the backs



And a top.


Then I added some nice looking trim.


These were attached with glue and brad nails.


Then I added some hooks on the bottom.



And gave the whole thing a good sanding.



Hooks were added to the back so it can hang on the wall.


Then I carted it outside and began spraying on some green spray paint.




When the paint dried, I sanded the whole thing to give it a more rustic look.





After cleaning it up, I hung it in our bathroom.


I threw some stuff on it, but ultimately my girlfriend will organize it better.



And I'm done!  This piece looks great and it matches the other green stuff in our bathroom (mostly floor mats and shower curtain - stuff not seen in the photos above).


Thanks for reading!

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Guitar Stand

A few months ago I found a blog from a woman calling herself "superwoman" who made a really cool, simple guitar stand.


You can see her site by clicking here.


She found her template online.  This project looked like fun, so I thought I'd make one too!


To start, I printed out the template (which I redrew and slightly changed in Adobe Illustrator) and then printed it out.  I used my template on some 1/2" plywood I had waiting around.


I then cut out the shapes with my jigsaw.



Once both shapes were cut out I began sanding the 2 pieces smooth.



The wood was coming along nicely, but had a few holes and gaps from the plywood, so I used some wood filler to fill up those gaps.


When the filler dried, I sanded again and the cleaned the 2 pieces and applied some wood stain.


When the stain dried, I used some sand paper to give it that rustic look I love.


Next I used some small hooks and a chain I had...


...and attached them to the pieces of the stand.



I then attached a hinge on the top.


And my guitar stand is done!



This was a very simple little project, but it came out quite awesomely.


Thanks for reading!


Thursday, July 10, 2014

Death Star Trench for X-Wing Miniture game


Recently my father game me the X-Wing Miniature game, and I must admit, it's pretty fun.  But playing the game on the floor or my dining room table, complete with yellow, red and green table cloth isn't all that great.  So I decided to make a game mat that looks like...


THE DEATH STAR TRENCH!

After doing a search online, I found that other people have made the same thing.


So, I think I will make one of my own.  To start I made a template in SketchUp for a game mat that will fit on my dining room table.  This mat will be made out of insulation foam.


Next I went back online and found various Death Star surface textures such as the ones seen below.



I copied the textures and printed out sheets of it on card stock.


I printed enough to fit the length and width of my dining room table.  I can always print more later if I need to.


Next, I went out and bought the insulation foam.


Then I began cutting it to fit the dimensions I laid out in SketchUp.


After a bit of cutting, toothpicks and some hot glue, I had my surface.



Then I continued cutting and gluing until I had the shape I wanted for the game board.








Next, I applied some double sided tape to my print outs and began cutting them out and adhering them to the surface.







After a few hours I had my surface completely covered.



At this point I took out the playing pieces and making sure the scale was somewhat accurate.  











But the game board is not complete yet.  Next I had to make some elements - namely the exhaust port and some laser towers.  I used some reference images online to make these.



I made a turbo laser in SketchUp to 3D print, however I do not have enough filament to print them - so those will have to wait.


Instead I started on the exhaust port.  I printed the exhaust port from photos found online.  I adhered them to some leftover foam and glued it to the trench.




Then I added some black spray paint to dirty up the trench a little.




Next I wanted to add more elements since the trench was looking a bit flat.  I took some leftover prints of the surface  adhered them to cardboard boxes I had, since at the moment I did not have any normal cardboard to use.



I cut them out into smaller pieces...


...and began gluing them randomly to the trench surface.




Next I made some more features, this time out of folder card stock.


I then glued them to the whole piece.




At this point the trench is not yet complete, but it's far enough along for me to try out a game or two with it.



So, when my filament finally arrived, I started to 3D print a turbo laser.






I think the scale is accurate for the playing pieces, but it looks awfully big on the game board.





So I made some smaller Turbo Lasers for the sake of the game board.  Also, my turbo laser above took over 6 hours to print, so smaller ones will probably take less time.


Next I began cleaning up my prints with files and my X-acto knife.



And then began applying many layers of primer.



When the primer dried I glued barrels to the turrets.


And then I painted them.



  



Once the paint dried, I placed them on my playing board.


And they look awesome!!!






I think I will make more Laser cannons in the future.  For now, 2 is good.


For the last step I made some playing cards for the Death Star Cannon towers and the exhaust port.

Another fun project complete for now.  Thanks for reading!


pew pew!