Friday, September 26, 2014

Sir Paul McCartney Violin Bass Pretend Guitar


Sir Paul McCartney has one of the sweetest Bass guitars I've seen: The H√∂fner 5001 Violin Bass!


I used to play guitar, but no longer.  I much more enjoy playing Air Guitar nowadays while listening to my iPod.


  But for fun I thought I'd make a simple pretend guitar to augment my air guitar playing.  The first thing I did was make some scale drawings of the guitar for templates.


I printed these templates, cut them out and traced them onto some wood.  Because of the size, I created a template that was half of the guitar.  I traced this template twice so I had 2 halves.


Then I cut out the pieces with my jigsaw.


Next I made some pocket holes on one side of the guitar half...


...and I glued and screwed it to the other half.


I glued in some wood plugs to fill the pocket holes.


Once dry I sanded the plugs smooth.


Next I routed the edges of the top of the guitar.  I also glued the guitar to another board to thicken the body.


Using scraps of wood, I also thickened the rest of the guitar.


I cut the new wood additions with my jigsaw and glued and screwed it to the body.  I clamped it and let it dry overnight.


The next morning I printed out more templates for the pick guard, pickups and volume plate.


I cut these pieces out with my jig saw and miter saw.




Before attaching those parts I still had work to do to the body.  I used my hand planer to begin thinning out the neck.


Then I used my sanders to smooth and shape it out.



With the neck and body sanded I then attached the parts I cut earlier.  I used glue and screws for most of it and clamped everything tightly.


While that dried I cut out 2 pieces of wood for the pickups.  I routed the edges to make them look nicer.


I then glued and screwed the pickups to the body.


Next I went through my stuff and found parts that could work for the machine heads and knobs for the guitar.


I drilled and screwed some bolts for the machine heads.


Then I screwed in the knobs.


This thing is coming out really nice so far!


I decided to make a piece for the guitar that could hold my ipod.  I measured out the size and shape on a piece of wood.


Then I drilled the 4 inner corners with my drill press.  This will make it easier to cut out the inner shape.


But before I cut out that shape, I routed the edges.



When I put the ipod holder on the guitar I felt it looked too big and bulky.


So I decided to use a small piece of trim instead.


The trim is a lot smaller and nicer looking.


I cut the trim using my miter saw and glued the 4 pieces to a thin piece of plywood.  Then I glued it to the guitar.


The plug port for the head phones are blocked....


...so I used some files and my rotary sanding bit to open up that area.


Then I added wood filler.


When the filler dried I did a lot of sanding.


The results so far are great!




Next I used some skinny sticks....


...and started cutting them to form frets.


I cut the sticks with a sharp pair of scissors and glued them on.


Then came the stain!



Next I distressed it a little.




Then I gave it a good cleaning.


Next I went out and bought some carriage bolts and fly nuts.  These are going to be the tuning knobs for the machine heads.


I drilled holes into the head of the guitar.


Then I screwed and glued them in place.


While I was out I also bought industrial strength Velcro.


The rough part will attach to the guitar...


...while the soft part attached to my iPod.


I did not attach the rough part yet, as I still had work to do to the body of the bass.  But the Velcro will hold it in place while the guitar is "in use".


Next I used some gold and silver paint markers to draw on some nice designs.



Then everything received some coats of glossy clear coat.


When that dried I gave it a good sanding with super fine sandpaper to make it very smooth.


Then I cleaned it up.


Next I need to add a guitar strap, but I don't have one right now so I'll move onto other things. I decided to make a small guitar stand similar to the one I made a few months ago.


To see that build click here.

I drew the shapes freehand and cut them out with my jigsaw.


Then I routed the edges.


Then I added the hinge, hooks and a chain.


This stand works well and holds my bass nicely.


Now that I know it works I removed the hooks and chains, sanded it and applied wood filler to fill in the holes I made while routing.


When the filler dried I sanded.


Then I applied stain.


When the stain dried I applied clear coat.


While that dried I bought a cheap nylon belt with a plastic buckle.  This is going to be my guitar strap.


I cut a small piece off using scissors.


I drilled a hole and placed a bolt with washers in it.


Then I drilled a hole at the bottom of the bass.


I screwed it in.


I repeated the process at the top of the back of the body.


I snapped the buckles together and I have a strap!


When the clear coat dried on the stand I reassembled it.


The bass sits nicely.



Look Ma!  I'm playing the Bass!!!


And I'm done!
This was a fun project and my Bass' new home is along side my bar.  Now I can have a shot or two and boogie!


Thanks for reading!