Friday, November 7, 2014

Clone Trooper Helmet (ROTS) Version 2


A few years ago I made a clone trooper helmet.  You can see my original build by clicking here.


I was never super happy with how that helmet came out, so I wound up purchasing a casting made by RPF member BSD (Thanks BSD!).



This new helmet is more accurately scaled than my original build.





It also looks a lot better, but it does need some work.


Around the time I received this helmet, I was packing up my apartment and getting ready to move across the country.  It sat in storage, got moved around, and wound up in a box under my guest bed for months.  Recently I took it out so I can finally start working on it.





The first thing I really needed to do was work around the helmet opening.  There is a considerable amount of leftover plastic - which I removed using my dremel.


Next, I sanded the seams from the 2 halves of the mold which made this particular helmet.


Once I finished sanding I needed to do some filling, but filler might not stick too well to the plastic, so I gave the helmet a coat of light gray primer.




When the primer dried, I began sanding with super fine sandpaper.  Primer also doesn't stick too well to this plastic as it easily peeled off is some areas while sanding.


I sanded the best I could, getting a nice smooth helmet.


I hadn't yet bought the filler I needed, so I grabbed my drill and started poking holes in the visor area.


Using the sanding wheel attachment on my dremel, I began sanding away the visor area.  The more holes I drilled in made it easier to sand this thing down.



For some tight spots I used a small saw to cut away material.



After the visor was knocked out, I needed to sand behind and make the insides level.  This is so that the actual visor will attach as flush as possible.


There were also several 'bubbles' in tight spots.


I removed them carefully using a very small tipped engraving bit.



I also used files to help smooth out some areas.


Once my sanding/filing was done, I cleaned up the helmet.  To fill areas that needed it, I wanted to use some auto body spot filler, but I couldn't find any in the local stores.  So I decided to try out some plastic wood - which is just really strong wood filler.



When the filler dried I sanded.


When I finished sanding I gave the helmet a good cleaning in preparation for...


...more primer.



When the primer dried, I once again gave it a sanding with very fine sandpaper.


One area of the helmet still needed a little filling.


Once the filler dried I sanded.


And then one final coat of primer.



Next I applied some glossy white spray paint.




I sprayed on a few layers at all angles.


When the white had fully dried I started painting on the details with Acrylic paint.  First came some grays...


...followed by oragne.


I used some more gray to add some weathering.




Then I painted on the black details.





Next I added clear coat.


While that dried I found the visor that came with my helmet and peeled away the protective film.


Then when the helmet had dried, I glued the visor in place.


And I'm done!






All I had left to do was make a new helmet stand and place it on my shelf with my other helmets.



Even though I did not create this helmet, I still feel like it's one of my own creations.  The person who actually made this did an amazing job, and I am hopeful that one day my work will be as good as theirs.


Thanks for reading!