Monday, November 9, 2015

Dog Feeding Station

For several years I had this nifty dog feeding station, which held 2 bowls and dry dog food in a drawer underneath.


Over the years this thing had taken a beating.  Last summer I fixed it up, adding supports...


...and a new paint job, but the flimsy material that made up this feeder (1/2" MDF) just wasn't doing well.


I eventually re-purposed the feeder to hold my safety equipment in my workshop.


As for my dog, I bought a new floor mat and placed his dishes on it.


His dry food is now in a small garbage can with a lid that I bought especially for it.


But I don't think my dog likes eating and drinking off the floor.  I think he misses having his dishes higher up.  So I rummaged through my workshop and found material to make a new feeding station. This build will be made out of 100% scrap material.  I'm not spending any (extra) money on it.  The top will be made from this 1/2" thick piece of plywood.


I spent a good amount of time drawing up accurate measurements for the circle cuts.


Once my marks were complete I drilled a hole inside the circle...


...and cut it out with my jigsaw.


I tested the holes with his dishes, and they fit snugly.


Before I went any further I decided to sand this piece of wood - most importantly the circular cuts.


Then I cut some spare plywood to make up the sides of the station.


I trimmed the wood to make a nice frame around the top piece of wood.


Since the top wood is thin I didn't want to drill pocket holes...


...so instead I simply glued and nailed it together.


Next I cut 4 legs made from spare 2x2 wood I had.  I used a stop block on my chop station so that each leg will be the exact same height.


These legs will sit in each corner against the sides and the top.


I used glue, plus drilled holes and screwed the legs in place.  These legs will also add extra support for the frame.


The stand was slightly wobbly when I placed it upright, but that was easily fixes by sanding the bottom of the 2 adjacent legs.


I used some more of my scrap 2x2's to make supports in the shorter sides.


I wanted similar supports on the longer sides, but didn't have enough 2x2's.  So I took a long 2x4 and trimmed it to the correct width on my table saw.


Then I attached the longer supports.


Everything is holding together nicely, so I began sanding this thing.


When I cut the 2x4's they didn't quite match the rounded edges of the 2x2's I was using...


...so I removed them and ran them through the router table using a round-over bit.


Then I reattached them and they look much better now.


I then decided to run the top of the feeder on the router table as well...


...giving the top edge a nicer look.


I also routed the circle cuts.


This probably wasn't necessary since a dish will almost always be occupying the space.  But it will look nice when there's no dish in there.


Next I added wood filler to the many spots that needed it.


When dry I sanded everything again.


For the routed edges I used a sanding sponge.


Next I cleaned it up and applied stain.


While the stain dried I created a stencil with my dog's name (Sagan).


When the stain dried I attached the stencil to the feeder using double stick tape.


Then I sprayed some silver spray paint on it.


When the silver dried I removed the stencil.


Next I got my silver ink pad and a rubber stamp of a dog's footprint.


I stamped the footprint in between each of the letters.


Then I gave a few light coats of clear coat all around.


When the clear coat dried I gave the whole feeder a sanding with a fine sanding block.


Then gave it a good cleaning to remove any dust.


Since this feeder is undoubtedly going to get wet, I decided to brush on a few layers of polyurethane.


I left the feeder sit in my workshop overnight to air out. 


The next morning I brought it in and put my dog's dishes in it.


My dog was curious about this thing I put down on his mat...



...but soon realized his food and water was there. 


And I'm done!


My dog is happy that his food and water are a few inches closer to his mouth.


This feeder is just a simple build made with leftover material and I'm glad it turned out well. 


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment