Monday, January 11, 2016

Link's Magic Sword Revise

In 1989 a cartoon show came out that I loved called "The Super Mario Bros Super Show".


Mondays through Thursdays Mario and his brother Luigi would get into all sorts of adventures.


The show was cheesy, especially since the beginning and end of each episode had real life actors portraying Mario and Luigi in a little side story.


On Fridays they showed my favorite - The Legend of Zelda!


This show was equally as cheesy...


...but it was more action packed.


As a 12 year old boy, I like playing as Link...


...so much so that I made one of my first 'builds', which was Link's magic sword.


Above and below are pictures of the actual sword I made.  I cut it out of 1/4" plywood with a coping saw and painted it by hand with acrylic paint.  At the time of this writing, this sword is 26 years old.


About 4 years ago I had already begun making helmets and props using all sorts of foam, so I decided to make a new sword.  This particular sword is made out of foam core, insulation foam and crafting foam.  You can see my build for this sword by clicking here.


Then about a year ago when I was learning how to make things out of wood,  I remade this sword yet again, this time out of wood.  Click here to see that build.  I tried to make it look like my old toy sword, with paint chipped away and worn.  I love how the sword turned out, but I wasn't overly crazy about the paint job.


Then recently a friend of mine turned me onto "Tested", which is a website by Jamie & Adam from Mythbusters (One of my favorite all-time shows).  On this site are dozens of videos with a plethora of useful information about making things.


One of the videos I watched showed Adam covering a wooden sword with foil tape to give the sword a metallic look.  (You can see Tested's video here).


I had never used that foil tape before, but I thought it would be great to try it out on the wood sword I have.  So I went to the hardware store and bought a roll of it.


But before I put on the tape I want to fix up the hilt.  I painted most of it yellow, but I want it to be gold.


So I tested out something else I've never used before - Rub 'n Buff.  So I opened the tube and applied some to my finger and rubbed it on all the areas I wanted to be gold.


Then I cut some of the foil tape and began sticking it on.


This took a while.  Adam makes it look easy, but it wasn't - especially on a curved sword as mine.  But it definitely looks better than the paint I had.


Next I used some Tennis racket handle tape, and gave the handle of the sword a nicer look and texture.


It's definitely looking better now!


But I can go further!  For my old foam sword I cut out the "Triforce" emblem out of thin crafting foam.


Then it was glued and painted onto the middle of the hilt.


I want to make something similar for this sword, only I think I want to 3D print mine.  So I designed it in Google SketchUp...


...and then printed it.


It took about an hour and a half to print and turned out well.


Next I sprayed the Triforces with some black high temperature spray paint.  I used this stuff because it's a rather 'thick' spray paint and smooths out the shape very well.


While that dried I went out and bought some jewels from my local arts & crafts store...


...and glued some to the hilt.


Once the Triforces fully dried I glued them to the center of the hilt.


Then I applied a little more rub 'n buff.


And I think I'm done!


I think the new add-ons are a definite improvement.


I still have to get better with using that foil tape...


...but it's not bad for a first attempt.  Good thing is I can always remove it and put on some more in the future.


Next I'll have to fix up the shield behind it, but that's a job for another day.

After several months I began to dislike the foil tape - especially seeing all those edges.  SO I removed it all and then used some silver Rub n' Buff on the blade.


It's not as reflective as the foil, but it's a much cleaner look.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment