Thursday, March 17, 2016

Simple Wood Crate

So for today's project I'll be making a simple wood crate.

The crate above is sold in Michaels, is made of solid wood and retails for around $15. I want to use this crate to better hold all the reusable shopping bags I carry in the back of my car.  


$15 isn't a bad price, but I happen to have a lot of scrap plywood that I can use.  Why spend $15 when I can spend $0?


First thing I had to do was separate all my scrap plywood into the 3 different thickness I work with: 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4".


I have more 3/4" plywood pieces, but I have larger 1/2" plywood boards, so I'll primarily use that.  First I used a bag to get the size of the bottom I wanted.


I then cut that board to size using my cross-cut sled on the table saw.


Next I cut two 3/4" pieces, all to the same size.


These will make the 4 posts in each corner.


Then I'll use the remaining large pieces of 1/2" plywood for all the slats.


I cut all the slats on the table saw.


I determined that 4 slats per side would be enough.


So I cut enough slats for all sides.


Next I measures and trimmed the slats for the long sides of the crate.


After cutting I sanded the edges of each side on the belt sander.


Next I marked where each slat will be attached to each post.


Then I added glue to those spots...


...and attached the slats with nails.  I did this for both sides.


The nails I used were slightly too long, so I used my angle grinder to grind off the nails.  This took about 30 seconds to do.


Next I glued and nailed the long sides to the bottom.


Then I measured and marked the size for the shorter side slats.


Then I trimmed them and sanded them like I did for the larger slats.


And then I glued and nailed the smaller slats in place.


And the crate is done!


I put one of the bags in to see how it worked.


There were still some rough areas when I pulled out the bag, so I sanded everything one more time.


Then I stuffed all the shopping bags inside.


And put it in the back of the car.


This was a very simple project to do, and it only took me about an hour to make.  And more importantly it cost me nothing extra to make.  The crate makes the back of my car look less messy - which I like.  It is also a great way to use up scrap material hanging around.  I like using plywood for my projects, but I seldom have too much use for smaller pieces of plywood.  I may have to make a few more crates like this to get rid of more plywood.  And of course, if you don't have scrap plywood and want to make one of these all you should need is a sheet or two of 2'x4' plywood, a saw, glue, nails and sand paper.  

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment