I had enough to make the legs and short sides, so I set up my miter saw cart with a stop block and cut several pieces at the same size.
Next I went to the store and bought the rest of the material I needed. As always the closest big-box home center I went to had a really bad selection of wood. Most of these boards are warped, so hopefully I can straighten them out when assembling the hope chest.
The next day I was ready to apply the second coat of Danish oil. The day before I applied the oil while the hope chest was perched on my carpenter benches. This resulted in drips all over my floor. So this time I set up a tarp on the floor in the middle of my garage.
I let it sit overnight again. The next day I cleaned it up and began applying glossy clear coat.
I moved it into the bedroom and finally took away that purple bin.
My girlfriend wasted no time in filling it up with stuff.
Despite a few setbacks here and there, this Hope Chest turned out quite awesomely.
I might have to build another one soon for myself.
Of course I won't call it a hope chest. It'll be a toy box!