Thursday, April 7, 2016

Spare 2x4 Project: Small Saw Horses

Up next - another spare 2x4 project!
I have some upcoming projects for my parents - cleaning and repainting their patio furniture.


My father doesn't have any saw horses to lift up his chairs, and I no longer have my old saw horses.  So I rummaged through my leftover 2x4's to see what I had.  I don't have any long pieces of wood, so these will be short saw horses.


I have some decent enough wood for the cross members, or tops of the saw horses. 


And I have enough pieces for 8 legs.


The first step was to cut all the legs to be the same length.  


Using a stop block with my miter saw made this quick and easy.


Next I did the same for the cross members.


I then set my miter saw to a 19-degree angle and cut one side of each of the legs.


I then reset my stop block and cut the other side of each leg so the 2 cut sides were parallel.


I purposely used blocks of wood that had previously been drilled with pocket screws.


I used these pocket holes to attach the legs to the cross members.


A few minutes later all the legs were attached.


Because the pre-existing pocket holes were made shallower from my miter cuts, the screws I used went all the way through the top piece of wood.


A cutting disc on my grinding wheel made easy work of removing the screws.


One horse done...


...two horses done.


To add a little more strength to these saw horses, I traced the angled sides onto a piece of plywood.


Then I used my miter gauge on the table saw to cut one side...


...then I flipped the wood over and cut the other side.


I repeated this flipping method to quickly make 4 pieces.


I then drilled 4 holes into each side...


...and attached them to each end of the saw horses.


Now these 2 small saw horses are complete!


To give you an idea how small they are, here they are pictured next to a chair I built.


They may be small, but they are strong!  I tested the strength by loading them with 3 very heavy bins of scrap wood.


I also stood on them.  If they can withstand my weight, they can definitely take on the challenges that lie ahead of them.


So, I brought them over to my parents house and used them for painting the undersides of their chairs.


These little things did a good job, and now my father has some saw horses.



There wasn't very much to this build, but sometimes simple is better!
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment