Monday, June 20, 2016

Groot Mask #2

Recently I made a Groot Mask for a friend made of EVA foam (Floor Mats).


You can see that post by clicking here.
This mask covers the face and is open in the back and top, using elastic to keep it on the wearer.


Seeing the progress of the mask, my girlfriend wanted a Groot mask of her own.  (Chicks love Groot!)  So I began making another one, but this time I'll make it a little differently.  Instead of it being a mask that covers only the face, I'll make it more like a helmet that covers the whole head.  I started by making a paper template - one that fits completely around my head.


Then I folded the template in half - from the nose to the back - and cut out the eyes and jaw line.


Next I cut the back and laid the template flat on a piece of foam.  I traced the shape and eyes with marker.


Then I began sketching out the details of Groot's face.


Next I cut it out.


Since this 'mask' will go completely around my head, I needed to curve it better than the first mask.  So I used my heat gun to bend the foam.


Then I applied some contact cement to the 2 ends...


...and connected them.


And the mask is holding together nicely.





Next I used my knife to better separate the top parts, and I used the heat gun to start shaping them outwards a little.  I also cut cheek lines to make sure the lower sides flare inwards more.


 I cut some leftover foam to make a top.  The piece I started with was very angular, but fit.


Then I cut other smaller curved pieces to make the fit complete.


Then I cut pieces for a new nose, mouth and brow. 


These pieces will look a bit funny...


...but after they're glued on and shaped with the dremel they should look good and give the face a less flat look.


I attached the pieces with hot glue.


I also cut and attached pieces to make the insides of the top more dimensional...


...as well as some more pieces for the top / front of the head.


Now it may look silly now, and not very Groot-like...


...but it's going to get better.


Because it was time to use the dremel again.


Carving this thing up took a long time and was quite messy.


But the results are great.


Once I finished with the dremel I used some Alex Ultra 230...


...to begin sealing some of the gaps and spaces from the pieces of foam that were glued on.



When the caulk dried I added the first coats of plastidip.


Once it was dry I felt it needed something - and looking at photos I realized that his brow sticks out more, and his eyes are a bit more sunken it.  I can't 'sink' the eyes more otherwise I'll sand right through the foam, so I glued on a few more pieces of foam around the brow.


Then more sanding...


...and more caulking...


...and finally more Plastidip.


When that dried I added primer....


...and then brown paint.


When the brown paint dried I proceeded to detail the helmet like I did with the first Groot mask.  First came a black wash...


Then various lighter browns that were dry-brushed on.


Then a rich green that was sponged on...


...followed by a light blue/green to finish the moss look.


When the acrylic paints dried, I added matte clear coat to the whole helmet.


While that dried I took an old pair of brown sunglasses...


...and removed the lenses.


I then glued them inside the helmet where the eyes are.


Now Groot has some shiny brown eyes.



And I'm done!








This new Groot helmet turned out so well.  Both me and my Girlfriend love it!


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment