Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Storage Cabinet with Cork Board Door

A while back I converted my dog's old feeding station into a safety drawer for my workshop.


Inside are my protective visor, ear muffs, breathing masks, safety goggles, knee pads and nitrile gloves.


This drawer works well, but I must be honest - sometimes I forget I have some of the safety equipment that I have simply because I do not access that drawer often.  So I sought to make a safety storage cabinet that hangs above my table saw.  Currently I have my cork board hanging there.


I don't have any other good places to hang my cork board, so I decided to design a cabinet that will store my equipment and use the cork board as the cabinet door.


I made some simple designs in Sketchup and printed my plans.  Lately I have been using a lot of my scrap wood for my projects rather than going out and buying new wood.  And for the past 2 months or so, I have practically bought no new wood.  I think I'll continue saving money with this project and simply use what I have on hand - with one exception.  I plan on using peg board for the back of the cabinet.  Unfortunately I have no peg board on hand, but I don't mind spending $5 for a 2'x4' sheet.


The frame for this cabinet will be made out of some scrap 2x4 wood.


I ran all the pieces through my surface planer to make sure they were all the same thickness.  This also knocked off the rounded edges that seem to come standard in 2x4 studs.


I then cut the wood to size on the miter saw.


Next I used clamps and my speed square to hold the pieces together...


...and simply assembled it with some self tapping deck screws.


Then I removed all my plans and reminders from my cork board and took it off the wall.  I placed it on the frame and all is looking good so far.


I clamped the cork board to the frame and drilled holes for hinges and attached them.


I only have small hinges on hand, so I used 3 to hold the door in place.  Since the cork board is so light, these hinges are more than adequate.


Next I attached a small knob to the cork board.


I then attached some magnetic clasps to the door...


...and the frame.


I noticed that the cork board frame and cork were a bit loose, so I applied wood glue along the edges of the inside door frame.  My application was a bit messy, but when it dries it won't be very noticeable. 


Before calling it a night, I dug up some plywood to use as supports...


...and some leftover MDF to use as a decorative top and bottom to the whole unit.


Then next morning I ripped the plywood into smaller pieces...


...and did the same for the MDF.


Next I cut the plywood strips to size at the miter saw.


I drilled pocket holes...


...and attached them to the back of the frame using pocket screws.


Then I attached the MDF to the top and bottom.  The MDF doesn't fully reach to each end of the frame, but it's only short by about half an inch and doesn't look terrible.


Unfortunately the screws that attached the MDF to the frame poked through to the inside of the cabinet.  This can hardly be an effective cabinet for storing safety equipment if there's pointy screws sticking out.


So I used my angle grinder to remove the screws.


And since I'm talking a bunch about safety, I put on a long-sleeve hoodie, gloves and my eye protection while using the angle grinder.  Despite it being about 120 degrees in my workshop, I rather be hot and sweaty wearing a hoodie than have burns on my arms from sparks.


I still have yet to buy the peg board, but I can mount the cabinet to the wall at this point.


And the door opens and closes nicely, plus it all looks good.


Then I put my plans and reminders back on the cork board.


At this point I wanted to see how much room I had for the peg board hooks.


I made my frame too small!!!  Aggravated, I decided to simply attach some screws and see how well some of my safety equipment fits inside.


AND THEY DON'T FIT EITHER!  AHHH!


I was fed up.  I never bothered measuring the peg board hooks, nor my safety equipment.  That's a very amateur thing for me to do.  So I left for a while until I calmed down and came to my senses.  In reality, if I made the sides any wider, the whole cabinet would protrude away from the wall so much that it might look a bit unsightly.  So instead of taking it all down, I simply cut a few more strips of the leftover plywood to make shelves.


I cut the plywood to size at the miter saw...


...and attached the pieces to the existing plywood back supports.


They're not very deep shelves, but I was able to store a good amount of misc stuff on them!


On the top I have some drill bits and my spare garage door opener.  On the wall between the top and middle shelves are 2 of my bench dogs.


The middle shelf holds more driver bits, my safety goggles and some plywood templates.  Below the middle shelf hangs some flashlights, keys and some scrapers.


On the wall between the middle and bottom shelf is a push stick.  The bottom shelves hold my other bench dogs, my box of spare razors, scissors and a box cutter.


I didn't bother with staining the frame or filling any existing holes.  I think it looks fine as is.


And of course when the door is closed, I tack my various plans and lists onto the cork board.


So it's not a safety cabinet now, just a storage cabinet - which is fine.  I love it and it helped me un-clutter other areas of my workshop - and that's a good thing.


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment