Monday, October 24, 2016

Junk Wood Project: Small Patio Table

In my last entry I made some mail bins out of junk wood I found, and luckily I still have some junk wood left over, because it's time to fix up this small patio table.


I made this about a year and a half ago out of scrap material.


It's been a super useful table next to the BBQ, or when I deep fry food outside.


The hardwood legs have held up nicely through the extreme temperatures of Arizona.


However the cheap particleboard top has not.


And I have just the piece of wood for the new top!  This is some of the leftover from the junk wood I found.


It almost fits perfectly on the top.  But before I attach it, I need to fit up the existing top.


To do this I removed the top from the legs.


I then broke apart the mitered wood edges of the top and threw away the particleboard.


I then removed the nails that were stuck in the edge wood.


Then sanded and cleaned those pieces up.


Next I reassembled the edges, this time using some self-tapping deck screws.  I have come to love these screws more than drywall screws, my old favorite.


The self-tapping screws help save time by not requiring me to pre-drill holes.


Once the top frame was reassembled, I reattached the legs.


And this thing is holding up very nice and strong.


Next I placed that piece of wood on top.  It's wide enough, just not long enough.


So I found another piece of junk wood to help fill the space.


I cut some 45-degree corners...


...that will make a nice back to the table top.


Next I used my new wireless circular saw to trim the width of the new table top.


Then I attached all the pieces with more deck screws.


Then I sanded off the old finish and edges.


But I decided to take things a step further and make a bottom shelf.  So I cut a few more pieces of junk wood, which I had previously planed smooth...


...and attached them to the legs to make a small shelf.


After a little more sanding and clean up, I decided to give it a coat of red spray paint and let it dry overnight.


This is the same red I used to paint up my rustic ladder I made the year before, and which has also found a home in my back yard.


However, the ladder was sanded to look rustic and worn, so I repeated the process with the table.  My buffer (with sanding attachment) achieved  the worn and rustic look quite easily and quickly. 


And my little table revise is done!


I couldn't be more happier with it!


After cleaning it up a little, I brought it back outside and placed it next to my BBQ.


It will continue doing a great job holding plates of meats and vegetables.  Since BBQ season lasts all year long in Arizona, this table will have a lot of use!


And once again, another successful project using junk wood and spending no money!  I can get used to this!
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment