Monday, November 21, 2016

Mason Jar Chandelier

Browsing on Pintrest can be dangerous.


I saw several Mason Jar Chandeliers like the ones pictured above and below, and I wanted to make my own.


So I went out and bought a 12-pack of Mason Jars.


I also picked up some lamp kits.


I have to apologize for the lack of pictures on this post.  Unfortunately the SD card on my phone became corrupted and I lost a lot of photos.  But I will try to explain everything as best as I can.

I started with the 2 kits - which came with directions.  I assembled the kits quickly and used 2 colored light bulbs to test it out.


That worked, so next I had to get a mason jar around it all.  To attach the mason jars to the lamp kits I simply cut a circle out of 1/8" thick hardboard and sandwiched it in between the lid and the jar.  Hardboard - for those who don't know what it is - is a thin sheet of material that they use to make peg board.  It's inexpensive and when the pegs aren't included, they call it hardboard.  So, after cutting out round pieces of hardboard that fit inside the lid of the mason jars, I then cut a hole into that piece of hardboard to fit the kit.


Unfortunately, normal sized light bulbs won't fit through the mouth of the jar, so I had to use smaller light bulbs.  Luckily the blue bulb I had was one of these smaller ones needed to fit inside the jar.


Next I worked on making the base of the chandelier.  This was simply done with some leftover 2x4's I had.  I drilled holes in the main board to fit each fixture.


Then I added other strips of wood to each side, and smaller round pieces around each opening.  I stained and polyurethaned the whole thing and let dry overnight.


The next day I reworked the 2 mason jar lights to fit inside.  This involved having to take everything apart so that the wires could pass through the small holes of the chandelier.


Since I'm kind of a newbie to electrical work, I would test the lights to see if they worked after each step.


When the first 2 were working I went out and bought 3 more kits and repeated the processes for a total of 5 mason jars/lights.


Luckily I had no problems getting all of them to work.


All of the lamp kits come with at least 5-feet of electrical cord.  All these cords are going to become messy, so Next I had to figure out how to cut all the wires and redo the wiring so that they all become one circuit.


Again, I am sorry for the lack of photos.  I eventually cut the wire lengths to work for me and set all the heights of the masons using a staple gun to hold all the spliced wires in place against the chandelier.


My friend Nate (who works with electronics) sketched me a simple plan to cutting the wires and splicing them together to work.


After quite a while of cutting, stripping and binding the wires together I finally got it working.


Next I stapled the wires again to the wood to make sure they stay at the height I wanted them.  Then I added hooks to the wood chandelier and my workshop ceiling.  Then I attached the chandelier to the ceiling with some chain.


This chandelier is super bright.  It illuminated my workshop like never before.


I was going to move it into the house, but my girlfriend noticed how much I liked the extra lighting in my workshop and insisted that I keep it inside.


The last task I was going to accomplish was putting a switch on the extension cord that powers the lights, however it's not really needed.  The extension cord ends near the power plug and it's easy enough to plug it in as needed.

The cost for making this rig I believe was around $60 with a majority spent on the 5 lamp kits, bulbs, extension cord and jars.  All the wood, hooks and chains I already had.  I think I'll have to build another one soon to better illuminate the other side of my workshop!

No comments:

Post a Comment