Monday, December 12, 2016

Uruk-Hai Helmet #3

The Uruk-Hai helmet!


It's time to revisit this helmet once more.  I made it once when I was living in New York and it came out very well.


It definitely came out better than the second helmet I made about a year after the first one.  I think the main reason the second helmet is lackluster is because I made that helmet mostly out of foam instead of cardboard.


I was never too happy with how my second helmet turned out.  So I looked online at images of the helmet and found that the shape of both my previous helmets were way off.


So I'm going to have one more go at it.  This time I'll go back to using cardboard.


To start I cut many strips...


...and curved each strip.


Then I made a ring that with fit my head, fastening the edges with hot glue.


Then I added more strips on the top so it can rest on my head.


Next I cut some shapes for the sides...


...and glued them on.


Then one-by-one I kept cutting strips, curving them and gluing them on to form the helmet.



Then I added the sides...


...followed by the tail at the back.


I now have enough for the base of the helmet.  Now it's time to strengthen that base.


I'll be using fiberglass & resin to do the strengthening.  I started by spraying adhesive onto the helmet and then attaching fiberglass to it.


Then I applied the resin and let it dry.


Getting fiberglass and resin in all the spots took some time, but it was well worth it.


Once dry I began trimming the excess fiberglass.


Then I sanded the surfaces to make it smoother.


I cut out the eye area using my multipurpose tool and a dremel.


Then I added the first coats of Bondo.


When that dried I sanded the whole thing.


Next I needed to further shape the helmet, so I cut and glued pieces of foam. 


 I also used foam with cardboard to extend the front 'tusks' and the 'tail' at the back.


Then I used some spray mount to cover the new areas with more fiberglass.


Then I applied more resin.


When the resin dried I once again trimmed the rough edges.


At this point I realized that it was a mistake to put on the foam.  Once covered with Bondo, these pieces will inevitably make the helmet too thick and too heavy.  Plus there's a lot more shaping to do, so I used my multi tool to remove the foam, plus the sides and back pieces.


Then I sanded what was left of the helmet.


To repair a lot of the spots that were damaged, I applied more fiberglass and resin to the damaged areas.


When that dried I added more Bondo.


And when that dried I sanded.


Then I gave the whole thing a coat of primer.


There were a lot of spots that needed some filling, so I decided to use some plastic wood to fill them in.


When dry I sanded.


There was still a lot of areas that needed better shaping, so I decided to go back to the Bondo.


...and then sanding when the Bondo dried.


Next I began cutting out the shapes of the parts I cut off earlier.


Then I used hot glue to attach the new shapes.


In addition to the sides and the 'tail', I cut out pieces to form a new brow...


...a crest down the center of the top...


...and a slight flare out in the back.


The sides are also made out of 2 separate pieces of cardboard per side, but I'll make it look like one piece soon enough.


Next I added more fiberglass with the help of spray adhesive...


...then more resin.


Once the resin hardened I added a few layers of Bondo.  My apologies for the next few dark images.  I had a light blow out in my workshop.


Once the Bondo hardened I began to do a lot of sanding.  This was difficult to do despite my many sanders and tools.  There are a lot of shapes and areas that weren't easily sand-able. This is where my dremel came in handy.


When done I decided to start smoothing areas with wood filler. 


 I decided to use wood filler since it will be easier to smooth out - especially with a damp cloth.


Then I added another coat of primer.


At this point I decided to make the helmet quite battle-worn.  As if it were a helmet found on the ground after the battle of Helm's Deep.  So I used my dremel once more to begin peppering the helmet with pits and dings.


I also used a chisel to add other stresses to the helmet.


I then used my drill to knock some holes into it.


Then a little more sanding.


Now this helmet looks awesomely weathered!


Looks like an arrow got through this helmet!




After cleaning up the helmet a bit, I gave it some coats of flat black spray paint.



Next I decided to spray on a few coats of black Plasti Dip.


The Plasti Dip gives the helmet even more texture.


Once the whole helmet was covered I let if fully dry overnight.


Then next day I used the same method of sponging on brown acrylic paint like I did for the first 2 helmets.


The outcome was great.




When the browns were dry I added the white hand to the front of the helmet.  Because of the shape of this helmet I had to be creative with the paint on my hand and a paint brush to make it look like the helmet was 'palmed'.


Once the white paint was dry I sponged on more browns to make the paint look worn.


When all the acrylic paint was fully dry I took the helmet back into the workshop and applied a few layers of matte clear coat.


While the clear coat dried I dug up the old helmet stand - which was not in great shape.  I wound up attaching a newer base since the old one was bowing.


Then I applied a few layers of black spray paint to the stand.


Once everything dried I was done!


This helmet came out awesomely!







All the pits and scratches really make this helmet look rugged and war-lorn.




Of all my Uruk-Hai helmets, this one is by far the best looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment