Monday, January 2, 2017

5 years of Timbo's Creations!

For 5 years now I have been blogging about my creations, and it's been wonderful.  I initially started by making 2 pepakura X-Wing pilot helmets in my small apartment on Long Island, NY.


Then I created so many more helmets and props.  Here are some of my favorites:


Loki, Iron Man, Thor...


...Shadow Trooper, ATST and TIE Helmets...


...assorted guns including Mal Reynolds, Hellboy, Boba Fett and Stormtrooper...


...PVC Lightsabers...


my ATAT (Chicken Walker) helmet...


...Iron RAM...


...Game of Thrones Dragon Egg...


...Jango Fett, Boba Fett and a custom, Horned Fett helmet...


...Killjoy pistol...


...and this "Hazmat Boom Shot".

At that time I focused my blog on making helmets and props for people like me - people who were newbies at making such things, and people who lived in small apartments, or simply did not have the space or money for big tools.  Below is my first workspace - a simple plastic folding table and some wall shelves.


Eventually the time came when I needed new furniture in my apartment, so my first real wood working project was this coffee table.


Then I went about making bookshelves...



...end tables...


...and a new Entertainment center.


Then came a dart board cabinet...


...and perhaps my favorite, a faux fireplace.


One of the last projects in my New York apartment was this work table I built.


I needed that table as all my wood working project in the apartment took place on the floor...


...or outside.


It was at this time my girlfriend and I decided to move to Arizona.  To save money for the move, we moved into a friend's house who had a horse stable in the back yard.  That friend let me set up some of my tools in there.


...and it was a great space to work in.


Although I wasn't there long enough to make too much.  I did make an "Industrial Wasteland" map for Heroclix figures...


...and a very cool looking faux marble computer desk and chair.


But then we made our move to the Grand Canyon state, and we rented a big house with a big garage.


Now I have plenty of space to work, and display the helmets that were fortunate enough to come with me from New York.


However, I had a big, empty house since my girlfriend and I didn't take much, if any furniture with us.  This is where my focus shifted from making props to making furniture.


I made pretty much the same bookshelves and TV stand as the ones I made in New York, as seen above.


As my woodworking skills got better, I eventually made nicer bookshelves and a nicer TV stand (above).


...a new fireplace...


...a chandelier...


...a buffet table...


A very cool stand for my turn table...


...and a bench that stores records for the dining room.


For my kitchen I made a bar...


...then a coffee bar (with dog feeding station underneath)...


...and also a kitchen island.


I  made computer tables similar to what I made in NY for my home office...


...only to make something nicer a few years later.


In my office I have a nice shelf for all my lightsabers...


...tall bookshelves...


...a cool corner cubbard in the hallway.


In the bedroom is a nice hope chest for my girlfriend...


...new night stands..


...a shoe dresser...


...a vanity for my girlfriend...


...and some dressers.


To make all of this stuff I had to get new tools, and build an assortment of tool stands and work tables.  


And some projects were made out of wood, but not furniture.  Like a bean bag toss game (Cornhole)...


...some Cigar Box Guitars...


Some Harry Potterish Wood and Paper Magic Wands...


 And I even learned some book binding.  But my main focus nowadays is woodworking.  When my priorities shifted from helmets and props to woodworking, I definitely lost a large percentage of my audience.  Not being one who likes to disappoint people, I did do several newer helmets and props...


A new, very nice Loki helmet...


...some generic foam helmets...


...various wood swords...


...Hellboy's Fist...


...a new Vacuum Formed X-Wing Helmet...


...Y-Wing Helmet...


...A new Captain America...


...A new Horned Fett Helmet...


...New Iron Men...


...Star Lord and Groot...


...and even Batman.


I even went as far as making a whole suit of armor out of foam.


Nowadays my big workshop is full, and I have a long list of things I want to do.


Having a large workshop, plus the money to buy all these power tools probably alienated some more of my original blog followers - and thus the number of followers again went down.

There are so many talented people out there who blog and make wonderful videos of their creations.  I try never to compare myself to others, but I know that a great number of people out there are light years ahead of me in the talent department.  I look at it as inspiration of what I could become one day.  However, some of those things have left me to conclude that I no longer need to blog my creations as much anymore.  

But aside from the decline of followers, and my deviation from what I originally set out to do, I've also taken a larger step forward in my life...


...and got engaged!

So, now I spend a lot of time with my fiancee planning a wedding.  We're also in the midst of paying off debt and actually buying our first house.  I've also received a promotion at my job, which came with a nice raise, and requires me to travel for a few days each month. So I've been busy.  But despite the business, I still find time to make new stuff!

I imagine I'll start really blogging regularly again once I get my new house and need to build a new, permanent workshop and new furniture.  I do not know when that will be, but for those who have consistently read my entries, emailed me questions or compliments, posted ideas on my Facebook page, or simply given me a thumbs up, I'll leave you with a few words from a great American writer/illustrator...


And for not the last time, THANK YOU FOR READING!
~Timbo

No comments:

Post a Comment