Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Small Barrel Build


For my next build I want to try making barrels.  Not for making and storing whiskey, but for decorations.


Above and below are barrels my fiancee and I saw at a wedding venue and we absolutely loved them.


So I want to try making one, but this one will be small one, so I can gauge how difficult it will be building a larger one.  This will also give me an opportunity to try using a circle cutting jig I bought a while back for my drill press.


I first tried it on a 3/4" thick piece of pine, but it didn't cut all the way through.


So next I tried it on a 1/2" thick piece of plywood.  Again it wouldn't cut all the way through (probably because I was using both blades instead of just one).


Since the shapes were mostly cut through, I just decided to cut them out on the band saw.


2 smaller circles and one bigger circle.


To connect these 3 circles I'll use a dowel.


So I put a correct sized spade bit in the drill press and cut out a hole in the center of each barrel.


Then the dowel went through each hole.


I used glue to hold the circles in place and left it alone to dry.


While drying it was time to work on all the slats for the barrel.  To make these slats I'll use my band saw with the fence locked very close to the blade (approximately 1/8").


Using a single 1x3 pine board, I began cutting slivers of wood.


That single board gave me a lot of slats to work with.


When the glue on the dowel/circles dried, I trimmed the edges of the dowel with my Japanese razor saw.


Next I used glue and my brad nailer to attach the far left slat to the plywood circle.


Then I bent the slat over the center circle and attached the other end of the slat to the far right plywood circle.


Since the slats are so thin I had to nail them at an angle.  Otherwise the brad nail would completely go thru the slat.  Then I trimmed the remaining slat with my saw.


Next I lined the next slat against the first one.  Since everything is curving, the 2 ends of the second slat overlap the first slat.


I used a pencil to mark where the board overlaps.


Then I trimmed the marked areas on the band saw.


With my second slat shaped properly, I attached it to the circles like the first slat, making sure it was fitting against the first slat.


I repeated the process of marking with the third slat and after cutting it on the band saw, it looked identical to the second slat.  So I used this piece as a template to mark the rest of the slats.


With all my slats cut, I went about attaching them all with glue and nails.


This process took a little time.



The last slat had to be cut special to fit.


With all the slats in place, I trimmed both ends to be even and left it to dry overnight.


Next it was time to smooth it out a bit.  I thought my belt sander would do this nicely...


...but it was a little too aggressive and ripped up one of the slats.


I reglued the slat as-is and let it dry.  Once dry I decided to use my mouse sander instead.


I also used my small hand plane to flatten out the surface.


Once the surface was smooth it was time to fill in a lot of the gaps between the slats.  To do this I decided to use the abundance of saw dust I had collecting underneath my table saw.


I added glue between each slat...


...and rolled it around in the saw dust.


The glue and saw dust fill in the areas between each slat.  This is the poor man's wood filler.


I repeated the process in between each slat and let it all dry overnight.


The next morning I began leveling all the saw dust using a chisel and sanders of varying grit.


I finished it off with fine sandpaper.


After cleaning off the saw dust I decided to apply some Danish oil with a rag.


While  the Danish oil dried, I found some Jute.  I'll be using this to wrap the barrel.


Next I decided to give it a coat of matte clear coat.  This isn't a necessary step since Danish oil will protect everything - I just wanted to speed up the drying since at the time the weather was cold, and the drying time was taking forever (yes I know, I need more patience).


After sanding the barrel when the clear coat dried, I cleaned it and used a staple gun to tack one end of jute to the barrel.


Then I added a line of glue all around the barrel...


...and wrapped the jute around a few time.  I then cut the jute and using a knife I tucked the cut end under the other layers of jute.


I repeated the process towards the other end of the barrel and let it dry.


The finished small-scale barrel looks okay.


I feel like the barrel should be a bit wider in the middle.  For the bigger barrel I'll have to do just that.


When my fiancee saw this little barrel she absolutely loved it.


So the next day I decided to personalize it a bit.  I found a 1/4" piece of plywood...


...and cut it down on the band saw.


Then I rounded all the edges on the belt sander.


Next I drilled holes on the top 2 ends and added some more Danish Oil.


When the oil dried I cut a piece of jute and threaded it into the holes and tied the 2 ends together to make it hang.


Then I simply wrote my fiancee's name on it.


Then I drilled a small screw into the barrel.


This screw allows the sign to hang from it.


Next I drilled some big holes on the top.


Lastly I cut some (plastic) flowers and stuck them into the holes.


And now my fiancee has a nice barrel with her name on it and flowers!


This small barrel build was fun, and I think it will be worth it to go bigger and make a full size barrel.  But that is another blog entry for another day.



No comments:

Post a Comment