Monday, March 6, 2017

Medium Barrel Build


A short time ago I made this small barrel out of scrap wood.


You can see that build by clicking here.
When I posted that build on my facebook page, my Fiancee's cousin (who is getting married this summer) posted a comment:


So as promised I began working on a bigger barrel that will hold cards.  Not sure if I could build a nice barrel out of wood, I first sought to build it out of cardboard, like many I've seen on Pinterest.



My first attempt was quite lackluster.


My second attempt was a lot nicer.  But a simple cardboard barrel will not do.


So I coated the barrel with some fiberglass and resin.  I had intentions to coat this barrel with Bondo and paint it up to look like wood.  But since this will be for someone's wedding day I wanted it to look nicer and more like real wood.


So I put the cardboard and fiberglass barrel aside.  This will be another project for another day.  While I looked around my workshop for material I discovered that I had a lot of 1/4" plywood hanging around my workshop, so I planned out a barrel I could make using the wood material I had on hand.  I made my plans in SketchUp.


So I cut all the plywood I had into 2" thick strips to make the slats.  The top and bottom of my barrel were made of spare 3/4" thick plywood and the middle was made out of 3/4" MDF.  I didn't take any pictures of the assembly of this barrel (mostly because I forgot), but it more-or-less went the same as my small barrel build - one slat next to another, next to another, next to another...


The thin plywood slats went around the top, bottom and middle in 2 layers.  The first layer had many gaps between the slats, so the second layer covered up those gaps.


Then I filled in the gaps on the outer layer with wood filler.  I had to make a few applications of filler, since adding too much at one time will keep it from hardening properly.


I also cut a hole out of the top.  This made it easy to clip all the nails on the inside that were poking through.


Once all the wood filler dried I sanded everything smooth. 


 In order to keep the barrel from moving while sanding, there is a block of wood screwed to the bottom of the barrel which is being held by the clamping work bench.


After quite a long time sanding and cleaning, I added a coat of stain.


When the stain dried I then added a second coat to make it darker.


Then I added a few coats of glossy clear coat.


After a few hours when everything was dry, I cut some strips of thin black crafting foam and used them to create rings for the barrel.


I attached the foam with some 5 minute epoxy and added furniture tacks.


The next day I used some silver Rub 'n Buff to add some streaky silver to the rings and tacks.


Then a few more coats of glossy clear coat.


Once dry, I created a top for the barrel.  This is made from 2 pieces of pine that I attached with pocket screws, cut in a circle at the band saw, rounded the edges at the table router and cut a slot into with the jigsaw.  Then 2 holes were drilled on the sides with countersinks so that the top attaches to the barrel.  Again I'm sorry I do not have pictures of each step.


Then I stained the top and added clear coat when the stain dried.


Next I found an old small drawer front I had laying around and free-hand painted the names of my Fiancee's Cousin and her Fiancee, plus their wedding date.


I attached a metal cord to the plaque and a screw to the barrel.  Then I hung the plaque to the screw.


I also added some felt sliders to the bottom of the barrel.


The slit on the top is big enough to fit envelopes of cash and checks.


The lid easily comes off by unscrewing the top.


And the plaque easily comes off in case they want to use the barrel for something else.


I think this barrel turned out awesomely.


I know my future cousin will love it!


Come wedding day the card holder did a great job.


 It was a good time!

No comments:

Post a Comment