Once all the glue had dried, I removed the clamps. I also filled 2 spots I missed on the inside curves of the S shape with smaller pieces of wood.
Now I need to cut the S shape out. Unfortunately this thing is too heavy to use on the band saw. And I think I will have a difficult time with the jigsaw attachment to my router table.
But anyway, next it was time to begin smoothing out the S shape. To help sand the inside curves of the S, I used a cut off piece and staples sandpaper to its side.
When the glue was dry I cut the dowels with a trim saw.
So first, I sanded the S when the filler dried.
Now to make it more rigid. I decided to get some 1/4" thick plywood.
I laid the S shape onto the plywood and drew an outline.
While that dried I decided to work on a stand. I had played with some ideas the night before and ultimately decided to build a stand similar to the many folding guitar stands I've made. After all, a guitar has a rounded bottom much like my big S.
Approximately every 2 hours I would sand/clean/reapply poly. In the evening the big S was looking very nice and was quite smooth. I then let it fully cure overnight. The next morning I began the same process to the back of the S.