After admiring it for a while I tested it out on some wood. It peeled through the wood like a hot knife through butter.
...but alas, my merriment wouldn't last. I noticed the paint on the handle began to ripple.
It's hard to see in the picture below, but wherever I was holding the handle, the paint rippled.
At this point I can say that I'm done.
As I stated earlier, this plane wasn't in bad shape.
Here are a few Before and After photos.
Julio's plane (above and below) look really cool with the metal showing. But the inside of the sole used to be black.
The frog on my Grandfather's plane is less red now thanks to the vinegar and brushing.
The inside of the sole looks like it was a dark blue or gray.
So I took them apart and spray painted Grandpa's frog red.
Above and below are images of my Grandfather's plane.
And below are images of Julio's plane.
I then put all the finished planes on my shelf.
From left to right I have my no.1 plane - which I use primarily for champfering edges, the no.4 Julio block plane, the no.4 Grandfather block plane, the Harbor Freight "No.33" cheap-o jack plane (which I spent a lot of time fixing up to make usable), the new no.5 bench plane and all the way to the right is my very first block plane (probably a no.3). I'm happy to say that they all work well, and they all get used.
This was a fun project to work on, and it made my old tools look new again.