This entry will revolve around a new add-on to my Dining Room - this new turn table.
When I was young my brother Dan and I would listen to my father's record of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by the Beatles. CD's and MP3's are all fine and dandy, but there's something about listening to an actual vinyl record. Recently my girlfriend pointed out to me that Barnes and Noble carried vinyl records - and they had a lot of Beatles albums. The next day I purchased some albums, the first being Sgt. Pepper's.
Long story short, I now have a small turntable. For the time being I have it perched on my buffet table, but I want to build a stand for it. But before I build the stand, I want a safe place to put my records. At the moment I only have a few albums, but I'd like to build a box that will safely hold them, plus more.
So once again I used SketchUp to design a simple box to hold multiple records.
The box will have a handle on the front and 2 rails on the side. The rails will sit on another set of rails in the turn table stand.
I built the stand to have curved sides and a 2-step base trim, but the box itself will be straight. I went to the hardware store and picked up some lumber for these 2 projects. Since I want the record box to fit inside the turntable stand, I started building the box first. As always the first step was to measure and cut the wood.
Next I added pocket holes to all the pieces that needed them.
Then I assembled the individual sides with pocket screws.
At this point I sanded everything since it will be difficult to sand when the box is together.
2 sides of the box will have a circular cut on the top/middle. I used a small bucket to draw the circle shape.
Then I cut it out with the jigsaw.
I sanded the edges of the curve with the drum sanding attachment for my drill press.
Now I began assembling the box.
It only took a few minutes and a few pocket screws to assemble.
At this point I wanted to make sure that the box was the correct size, so I grabbed a record and placed it inside. The record fits perfectly and there's lots of space for more records.
Next I did a little more sanding - mostly rounding all the edges with my sander.
Then I cut the rails for the side using the miter saw.
I attached the rails with some glue, clamps and nails.
Then I measured and drilled 2 holes for a handle I bought.
The handle fits well.
Next I removed the handle and applied wood filler to all the spots that needed it.
When the wood filler dried I sanded everything smooth.
Then I decided to give the box a few scrapes and small gouges. This is so that when I stain, these imperfections show, giving it a nice rustic look.
The next step would be to stain, but I want to do that when I'm staining the turntable stand. So I put the box aside...
...and began working on the stand.
First step: Measure and mark all cuts.
The large pieces were cut on the table saw.
Next I marked the sides of the stand, showing the placement of the shelves and the inner curve...
...which I cut out with the jigsaw.
I then cut a curve into scrap piece of wood to continue the outward curvature.
Next I drilled pocket holes into all the pieces of wood that needed them.
Then I began to assemble the whole thing with pocket screws.
When the top and sides were assembled I began attaching the shelves to one side...
...followed by the other side.
Then I turned the whole thing upside-down and attached the top to the sides.
Next I placed the record box inside to make sure it fit - which it did!
I then cut some wood for the supports for the record box...
...which I attached to the insides with glue and nails.
Now the record box sits on those supports and easily glides in and out of the stand.
Next I began cutting wood for the trim.
I started with the bottom.
I gave it a 2-step base trim.
When the bottom was done I flipped the whole stand over and attached trim to the top.
So far so good.
Next I began sanding.
This took quite a bit of time, as I didn't sand before assembly.
After quite a while of sanding I next added wood filler. This also took some time as there were many spots that needed filling.
Once the filler dried I sanded once more.
First I sanded with a 120 grit sandpaper to smooth out the filler, then a 220 grit to really make everything else really silky smooth.
Once the whole thing was sanded I measured and marked a piece of .25" plywood...
...and then cut it to size with the table saw.
I then glued and nailed the plywood to the back.
Next everything received a good cleaning in preparation for staining.
Then stain was applied.
As expected, the marks I left in the box show up nicely in the wood.
Maybe it's just me, but I think it looks cool.
Once the stain was dry I applied some clear coat.
When the clear coat dried I sanded with some Grade 0000 steel wool and some 220 grit sandpaper.
After cleaning it up with a damp cloth, I was done!
I love how this turned out!
I moved it into the corner of my dining room and moved the turntable and (temporary) speakers.
I placed my albums inside the box.
The box with the albums fit nicely in the stand.
I love how this turned out, but I'm not too happy with the speakers perched either on the ground or next to the turntable itself. I decided to cut a hole in the back above the center shelf.
This allowed my speakers to be perched on that shelf itself, and all the wires could go through the newly cut hole.
The speakers fit nicely, and now I'm happy.
This thing turned out great!
Once everything was set up and plugged in, I put on Sgt. Pepper's.
"It was 20 years ago today..."