Ana White has a very cool, small ladder (seen above) that I have wanted to make, but it was something that was never high on my list of priorities. You can see Ana White's build by clicking here. Recently I had made 2 carpenter stools which were very useful, especially in a recent build of mine.
I call these benches "Poppy Sawhorses" in honor of my Grandfather.
These benches are a replacement for some sawhorses I made a while back.
These sawhorses were good, but they were very large and not easy to store in my garage anymore. Plus it is very difficult getting large pieces of furniture on top of the sawhorses since they were so high off the ground. The old sawhorses are fairly simple to make - I can easily make them again - so I decided to disassemble them and use the wood for other projects.
In this case I'm going to attempt to make Ana White's little ladder.
But instead of using the wood she specifies in her blog, I decided to use some of the scrap 2x4's from the disassembled sawhorses. I'm going to use Ana's directions as a guide and just wing it. I started by cutting some of the 2x4's at 30 degrees.
The 30 degree angle cuts made up the front. The back is a simple 90 degree cut.
Having the front and back of one side, I began cutting supports for the steps. One side of each of these supports will be cut at the same 30 degree angle.
I first made the bottom support...
...followed by the top support...
...and finally the middle support.
Then I used my first cuts as guides and made a second set.
Next I began drilling holes in the supports...
...and screwed them into the front/backs of each side.
Before long I had 2 completed sides.
Next I began cutting some more straight 2x4's...
...to make some beams that go across the back.
These beams were screwed into each of the supports and backs.
Unfortunately I didn't have enough wood planks to make the steps, so I went to the hardware store to pick up some. Plus I also ran out of 2.5" screws, so I needed that as well.
Next I cut the wood planks to make 3 steps.
Each step was made from 2 planks for extra strength.
Then these were attached to the supports with screws.
After a short while all the steps were attached and assembly was complete.
Then I sanded. I sanded for quite a while until all the surfaces were sufficiently smooth.
I decided not to stain this ladder, and instead paint it with some leftover red spray paint I had.
I let the paint dry over night before turning the sander on it again.
This thing took a lot of sanding (and sandpaper) to get the results I wanted, but it was well worth it!
This is one very cool, very strong little ladder!
I even used it to change a light bulb in my laundry room.
As far as being able to store it goes, it's definitely takes up less space than my saw horses did, and it fits easily in a corner. The downside is,it is a bit heavy. But I can't complain too much - with the exception of the foot boards and some screws, this thing cost nothing for me to make. Plus I can use it as a stool, a ladder and even for decor.
Thanks for reading!